Search the forum,

Discuss Gas Pipe Renewal (Lead)-Inlet Entry & Meter Location query in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi folks,

I'm a bit concerned with what the Gas Transporter is proposing regarding a replacement pipe install to the properties in the close I live on. The demographic is predominantly elderly, but it seems to be the contractors have gone a bit kamikaze & seem obsessed with finishing early rather than doing a proper neat job.

Basically, the roads/pavements have been already dug with varying degrees of accuracy, with the feed to a nearby street lamp severed by their digger, leaks in water mains (digger again) & uneven driveways where the mini-digger's bucket has been used to break up concrete, causing the residents to be upset with the standard of work.

That aside, the holes have been dug but we're all awaiting the change of pipe from supply to meter, and I was wondering if anyone could please answer a couple of queries on behalf of the residents, mainly regarding the location of inlet pipes and meters.

Most of the houses are of similar construction.

The 'old' pipes currently go through the outer wall on an above-ground inlet but below the DPC, and most meters are located on the inside of garages but against the outer walls.

The queries re this ^ would be:

a) Is an above-ground inlet below a DPC for existing properties now considered 'against regs' for renewing, as the holes already exist & it seems daft to drill through again, especially considering most have had rendering added from DPC upwards.

b) If the Transporter's inlet pipe has to be above DPC, is there a lower and upper limit for siting of the inlet pipe to comply with regs?

There's also mention by the contractor of a 2 metre maximum on the amount of copper piping used from T-junction inlet/ECV to Gas meter, with an additional caveat half a metre is 'taken off' for each bend in the piping, including the T-junction inlet and effectively making the maximum height of meter from the inlet 1 metre.

Would this be correct?

As a result of this ^, the Transporters' contractor is currently suggesting either the outside pipe is extended to eye level on the outside of properties to match the existing positioning of meters behind the outer wall (like the pole on a Routemaster), or the meter must be moved to nearer the T-junction inlet, almost at knee level.

Apparently, one member of their team is a stickler for the 2 metre copper piping rule (meaning in most cases the meter has to move to the T), whilst another member of the team couldn't give a flying one!

It all seems pretty bizarre & random & doesn't seem right. It doesn't help getting different answers from different members of their team, but any advice would be appreciated as I want to try and help the residents avoid unsightly piping on the exterior of their houses, some of which have been located right next to their front doors...

Thanks in advance 🙂

Last edited:
Have you got any pictures of what you mean as normally the either use the existing supply as the sleeve and push the new yellow pipe through this and have a transition fitting

Or they fit new external meter boxes and pipe upto the existing internal piping which is where the 2m rule normally comes from

But yes any hole really needs to be above the dpc else you could get problems with damp later on

Thanks for the reply.

Some photos of the current 'before' install enclosed and I'd say it's a good example of other houses on the estate and their in-garage installs.

As the 1st pic shows, the old inlet currently comes in via a 90 degree knuckle joint below DPC, which according to the contractors is deemed unsuitable for use due to the risk of new plastic pipe kinking.

Understandable this knuckle can't be used, but what's being proposed as a replacement is either:-

a) A 1.8 metre-high sleeved pipe replacement on the outside of the garage (with T-Junction) drilled into the wall virtually direct to the installed location of ECV/Gas meter.

or...

b) A (500mm min - 1000mm max height) sleeved pipe replacement (with T-joint) drilled from the outside (height quoted from above DPC) with the indoor meter lowered in the garage from current height 'for gas regs' and connecting copper pipe.

So the questions would be -

a) Does the inlet pipe have to be a minimum of 500mm above DPC or above finished ground level, as there's a major visual difference if the pipe is on the front elevation & even worse with the 1.8 metre-high versions near their front doors, which I'm amazed people have accepted but most feel like they have no choice.

b) Why does the meter have to be lowered from it's existing position, given there's 2 metre tolerance of potential copper piping from T-junction to ECV/Gas meter?

The jobs seem to be being made unnecessarily complicated for the residents which is why I'm trying to unravel what the real regs are in the circumstances.

Like I say, most of the properties in the close are of the same or similar design & any advice would be appreciated. 🙂

Attachments

• Knuckle Joint.jpg
    Knuckle Joint.jpg
    878.3 KB · Views: 6
  • Meter Location & Pipework.jpg
    Meter Location & Pipework.jpg
    389.2 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:

Reply to Gas Pipe Renewal (Lead)-Inlet Entry & Meter Location query in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock