Search the forum,

Discuss Gas/Oil Flue Differences? in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Morning,

I need to replace my flue as it has suffered some damage from a over enthusiastic digger driver with a rogue bucket 😡

I am a relatively competent diy'er, so thought this would be a doddle...

I have a condensing oil boiler with a horizontal flue at 80/125mm.
First port of call was Worcester Bosch who gave me a part number and I found the flue available online for ~£160
Thought that was a bit steep for a short length of metal so I looked around the net.
After a bit of googling, I found a suitably sized flue at my local Screwfix for ~30 quid and thought - job done.

However, it transpires that the £30 flue is for a gas boiler and the £160 one states that it is for oil boilers.
I have since seen this price differential between flues for the 2 types of fuel on many other websites.

So, my question is: If the flue dimensions are identical for gas and oil, what is the differences between a gas flue and an oil flue?

Different temps.

If it was the digger driver then cost is irrelevant as surely they would be paying!!

And no type of diyer should be playing with a combustion appliances flue.
Do you have all the necessary gear to check the combustion once you have finished playing?

Different temps.

If it was the digger driver then cost is irrelevant as surely they would be paying!!

And no type of diyer should be playing with a combustion appliances flue.
Do you have all the necessary gear to check the combustion once you have finished playing?
Thank you Simon.
The driver is a relative and will be paying, but just trying to minimise the cost for him.

I certainly wouldn't attempt anything like installing a boiler.
In this instance I was just hoping to change a flue with no alteration to the combustion process and therefore no requirement to check combustion as nothing else would be changed.

The driver is a relative and will be paying, but just trying to minimise the cost for him.

Then pay all or part of the bill yourself.

In this instance I was just hoping to change a flue with no alteration to the combustion process and therefore no requirement to check combustion as nothing else would be changed.

get a qualified professional to make the repair and check the finished result is safe.

Last edited by a moderator:
You need to make sure the seals on the new flue are ok and not leaking also I would want it checking for piece of mind just encase he’s done more damage eg water / crud into the burner chamber etc

I've been a heating engineer for over 15years and would probably be more cautious replacing a flue than fitting a whole new boiler.
There is little that we do that is massively complicated or difficult but I'm sometimes reminded of all the little things I'm looking for and checking almost instinctively that your just not going to be aware of.

PLEASE get a gas man in to do this job!

Reply to Gas/Oil Flue Differences? in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Hi all. I recently upgraded our CH system, but rather than the expected drop in gas consumption, Octopus is saying we're using roughly 30% more! The installer has said they can downrate the boiler, but to my mind that addresses maximum consumption, not any inefficiencies there may be relating...
Replies
Views
Hi, I have just noticed a damp patch around where my boiler flue exits through to outside wall along with a rusty colour around the collar of the flue bend. I’ve checked the external wall & there’s no water coming in from outside but the flue terminal also has a rusty colour. My regular boiler...
Replies
Views
W
  • Question
I'm looking to put an extra column radiator in my living room and when doing my research found one secondhand on Facebook marketplace that I figured could help me save some money on what can be expensive radiators. Anyway, the advert had a link to the sale page for the radiator...
Replies
Views
Wes Moore
W
E
Hi all, Apologies if this has been covered elsewhere but I can't find an answer to my questions. I have a back boiler and gas fire which h has been serviced regularly over the years by different engineers with no issues. Last time , the guy wanted to condem it due to not being compliant with...
Replies
Views
I live on the 3rd floor of a 6-story block of flats. (26 flats in total). During the evening when all people are inside their flats and using their boilers to heat their flats, there is obviously lots of steam coming out of all the different Boiler Flue Vents. if I open my window or go outside...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock