Search the forum,

Discuss Gas Leak - 2 plumbers haven't resolved in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

We have been in our house (2 story) for 2 months. Smelled gas when we moved in around gas fireplace and room.

Gas company detected gas and shut off gas. Plumber came out and couldn't find a leak after conducting pressure test. Gas company came back out turned gas back on. Started to smell gas again after they left.

Company that did original install for fireplace came out. Found small leak between fireplace gas on/off valve (the key that you turn) and fireplace unit and resolved it. Within hours of them leaving smelled strong gas again.

Called second plumber who had trouble finding any leak. He replaced fireplace gas on/off valve (the key that you turn). Within hours of him leaving smelled strong gas again.

I have had the gas main turned off now for a few days, but still smell and detect gas strongly on 1st floor and get stronger the closer you get to the key shutoff. I also use handheld detector for readings. Gas furnace utility closet on second floor, does not seem to be issues there.

I'm concerned,we have been breathing this in off and on for two months, also been getting headaches.

Any thoughts/help on this issue would be greatly appreciated.

It sounds like it could be coming from elsewhere, known as migration, especially if you have had it turned off, or it’s upstream of the shut off. Can you get the gas company out again?

It sounds like it could be coming from elsewhere, known as migration, especially if you have had it turned off, or it’s upstream of the shut off. Can you get the gas company out again?
Yes, I think I should get them out here again. My concern was they would lock the main and make it more difficult for the plumber to rest. Not sure waht migration is, but googling it sounds like it may be a build up of gas if the pipe is run underground, which it might be since we are on a slab. Interestingly, even with the gas main off, seems to come and go. Evenings and mornings worse for smell and readings. Strong reading/smell 7:30 this morning for example. But by 10 no reading although I had windows open.

Get them to do a gas test from the meter on your pipework including the fire valve which is left open shouldn’t drop

This need finding as a matter of urgency the emergency service will switch you off and disc the meter and place a warning notice on your meter was this done? Did said engineers carry out repairs and reconnect the supply ? , are you saying you can still smell gas when the gas supply is switched off ? If this is the case then it's a Cadent problem and could be a external leak? the emergency services will need to address that type of fault , a smell of gas is not acceptable and needs finding . Kop

This need finding as a matter of urgency the emergency service will switch you off and disc the meter and place a warning notice on your meter was this done? Did said engineers carry out repairs and reconnect the supply ? , are you saying you can still smell gas when the gas supply is switched off ? If this is the case then it's a Cadent problem and could be a external leak? the emergency services will need to address that type of fault , a smell of gas is not acceptable and needs finding . Kop
Yes, before any of the professionals came out, gas company came out turned off and tagged meter. Only after the first plumber came out and could not detect a leak, did the gas company come out and turn back on because they could not detect any gas. The smell (and reading from handheld meter) come back everytime after the professionals have done their work. Seems like they are able to alleviate the issue through pressure testing or whatever and then reoccurs shortly thereafter.

Yes, I turned gas off at meter on Friday night due to strong smell/reading. Have continued to have strong gas smell/reading since. On first floor and especially at fireplace key where plumber cut hole in wall. This morning, strong reading, but opened windows and disapated. Closed windows 1/2 hour ago, its back.

Thank you all for your help.
Woke up this morning and gas smell/readings throughout house, even with gas turned off at meter. Opened windows and turned on the fan and it dissipated. Gas company came out and didn’t get a reading. Closed windows smell came right back. Called gas company and they come out again, they detected gas and locked the meter. They also ran the residual gas out of the line by turning on the stove. That seems to have taken care of the smell and high readings thankfully. So no gas coming in.

Now we just have to resolve the apparent leak in the system. Even though two plumbers came out and ran pressure tests without detecting a leak.

Gas co guy told me to stand there and watch/verify the pressure test when plumber comes back out, as he said did not appear from looking at meter pipes that anyone had done it.

It's the first thing to carry out is a tightness test here in the UK and the appropriate paperwork and signage put in place if a fault is found , finding the problem and repairing it is the next step , recommissioning , testing and issuing a gas safety certificate would be next .

I'd be getting the furnace thoroughly tested the flue all its connections the ventilation and all the safety devices connected ?? If your gas tight it could well be spillage of products of combustion your smelling which could be very dangerous . Get a carbon monoxide alarm and don't use anything till it's had a good check over and if possible a service ready for winter. Kop

How old is your place?

Get the gas company to check if there were ant pre existing gas lines under the property before you house was built.

We had a issue at a property where there was an intermittent smell of gas.
It was quite an old property and when we found the leak it was from an old & supposedly disconnected service.
Well it wasn't disconnected and the gas company had to come out and dig up part of the road and disconnect ther old service from the main.

This was an ongoing issue for months.
No leaks on the gas pipe to the property, but getting readings off sniffer test.

you could have the same issue

Reply to Gas Leak - 2 plumbers haven't resolved in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi sorry im a newbie, pls help if u can. I had a new bathroom installed about a yr ago and since then when i flush the toilet the room stinks of sewer gas. Not only does the b/room stink it also smells in the kitchen too, which is directly below the toilet/b-room. It doesnt do it everytime...
Replies
Views
Some advice please about a really worrying problem. I live in a terraced 2 bed room house. 10 days ago the gas combi boiler stopped heating the radiators but still gave hot water to the shower and taps. Naturally we thought there was a fault with the boiler. We had already arranged a yearly...
Replies
Views
About 10 months I started having issues with a gas like smell in my home and the gas board was unable to find any gas leak I've still got the issue. When I first made contacted enviromental health I was told the following Could be my drains and to have my drains checked. Could be the sewers...
Replies
Views
J
Hi all, I am a plumber but I do not carry out works to boilers as the majority of my is bathrooms so I am not gas safe. I have completed a bathroom for a regular customer. She is of old age and is starting to get a little clumsy and her son has asked me to look at the old gas fire/back...
Replies
Views
Hello, What would cause an intermittent gas leak around a boiler? In the evenings there is a strong smell of gas coming from the boiler. I got a gas sniffer from Screwfix and it detects gas in the kitchen and squeals when near the boiler. A plumber inspected the boiler, in total they...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock