Search the forum,

Discuss Gas Installer Course & Work : Colourvision. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Gavin

Just a quick question.

I plan on doing a Domestic Natural Gas Installation and Maintenance course, hopefully in January. It's full time 1 year.

I only have one concern, I have a red green colour deficiency. I fail the Ishihara test but I can easily distinguish my colours in a practical way such as seperating wires into their coulours including red/green/brown.

Am I fine for this line of work in your experience?

Cheers.

Gavin

no offence but this could cause an issue selecting or tracing wiring in boilers

no offence but this could cause an issue selecting or tracing wiring in boilers

No offence taken :)

Is there alot of wiring work in domestic gas installation? I'm 99% certain I can do this in practice, just looking for some real life input.

There will be an enrollment process for your intended course which would highlight any incapacity, I don`t think you will have a problem as you said you have your own ability which is different to most.

One of my best mates asked me the exact same thing the other day, he wants to retrain as a plumber.

I think it could cause some problems as I know colour blind people normally have a problem with blue/green and red. (According to my mate)

If you can't tell for certain whether a cable is blue or red, then yes you will have a problem.

You can use meters, and testers to acertain what a wire is, but just looking at the colour can make life a hell of a lot easier. I just got home from a call out. Electrical problem on a boiler. Had to trace the cable back to a servo. It was a nest of cables and frankly I would imagine someone without full colour vision could struggle.

On the positive side, you do not need colour vision to do gas and plumbing work, and you could always sub out the electrical side, and just concentrate on installations.

By the way, I will be posting a question on the dodgy servo I found. So look forward to that people!

Hi. Although not for gas work, i have conducted the Ishihara test you speak of many years ago. As part of course selection. With the changes regarding disabilities and equal opportunities of late. I am sure you can get advise on this situation from say Citizens Advise. Who may be able too put you in touch with help groups that can advise you on specifics . Good Luck

If anyone else can add their experiences regarding this that would be great.

Sorry for the shameless bump.

Post count + 1 too :D

LOL - My mate that I mentioned above has since helped me on a few jobs, and has the makings of a bloody good plumber. So I don't see any reason why you won't be the same. Like I said, electrics will be an issue, but gas and water work won't be an issue at all.

Sorry to bump a old thread however I'm going to add to it with more information should someone search for this topic.

I'm due to start as a British Gas apprentice in June and colour vision problems haven't stopped me. As long as you are fine in a practical way distinguishing colour.

Best of luck.

I'm have problems with my red and greens ( I can't tell the difference between a red and a brown on a snooker table) but I've had no problems as long as you can tell the difference between the blue green and red wires you'll be fine. If i'm ever in doubt I mark the wire and take a photo with my phone
Good luck you'll be fine

Thanks all.

Anymore advice?

i work in a training centre which does the bpec gas foundation course, and have experience of other training establishments, and there are no colour blindness tests as part of the pre-requist to enrol, there can be some issues doing electrical work on gas if you cant tell the different colours, but that would only be in 240 cables, 99% of boiler wiring is in looms with molex plugs which can only be fitted one way, so with the wiring diagram and the ability to read the colour of the cable and the ability to count that the red was the 4th from the left or top then you will be fine, some gas maintenance might be iffy, changing a pump or room stat or wiring up a new boiler etc but it wont stop you servicing boilers so you will be able to join the course no problem, good luck with it

i had to provide a colour blindness test result for my part p and i did have to do one in 1980 for entrance to my apprenticeship (seems like only yesterday!) i know there is a lot of electrics in Level 3 plumbing but don't know if gas is same.

Just a quick question.

I plan on doing a Domestic Natural Gas Installation and Maintenance course, hopefully in January. It's full time 1 year.

I only have one concern, I have a red green colour deficiency. I fail the Ishihara test but I can easily distinguish my colours in a practical way such as seperating wires into their coulours including red/green/brown.

Am I fine for this line of work in your experience?

Cheers.

Gavin

where do you plan to do the course?

u should c ur optician, u can get contacts or lenses that help with certain types of colour blindness, it changes the refraction of light waves etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Gas Installer Course & Work : Colourvision. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock