Search the forum,

Discuss Gas fire closure plate in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Hello, I have a gas fire which has been unused for some time. It has a rectangular vent protruding from the rear. There used to be a closure plate with a rectangualr slot but this is now lost. The closure plate for this fire is no longer available as a spare part.

Q1. Do new gas fires usually come supplied with a closure plate?

Q2. If the correct closure plate is unavailable, can a generic one such as one from screwfix (aluminum sheet 18X24 inches) be used to safely fit the fire? Closure Plate 600 x 450mm

Q3. Is it a typical job for an installer to cut holes out of a sheet of metal to install like this and is it easy to be done safely?

Q4. Is there anything special about the manufacturers closure plate that would preclude use of a generic alternative?

If it cannot be fitted safely without the original closure plate by a qualified gas engineer, it will go to waste which is a shame.

MOST fires can be refitted with a post made closure plate. Some had special seals which cannot be replicated.

However, the plate may or may not have had an air relief opening, the size of which is specific to each fire. One MUST have the manufacturers installation manual to get the details.

Cutting a new plate is in most RGIs capability, but make sure he has a gas fire ticket. You may find that only an old timer will be interested in doing this, though.

A lot of newer guys regard gas fires as the Devils Work. But that is mainly a lack of understanding, training and/or confidence. IMO, obviously.

Q1. Do new gas fires usually come supplied with a closure plate?
manufactures supply closure plates specific to the appliance however these can be cut as long as you get the right grade steely and dimensions for cutting.

Q2. If the correct closure plate is unavailable, can a generic one such as one from screwfix (aluminum sheet 18X24 inches) be used to safely fit the fire? Closure Plate 600 x 450mm

see question 1.

Q3. Is it a typical job for an installer to cut holes out of a sheet of metal to install like this and is it easy to be done safely? yep as gas safe your required to fit as per m.i

Q4. Is there anything special about the manufacturers closure plate that would preclude use of a generic alternative? it depends on the grade and cut dimensions, as the closure plate is designed to dissipate heat

If it cannot be fitted safely without the original closure plate by a qualified gas engineer, it will go to waste which is a shame. - any decent gas safe will be able to fit it, as long as measurements from m.i are followed.

saghir hussain

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Gas fire closure plate in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

J
Hi all, I am a plumber but I do not carry out works to boilers as the majority of my is bathrooms so I am not gas safe. I have completed a bathroom for a regular customer. She is of old age and is starting to get a little clumsy and her son has asked me to look at the old gas fire/back...
Replies
Views
All, Belfast, Northern Ireland. I am in a bit of a predicament. I have recently had a stove fitted in a chimney that had a disconnected and capped gas fire. The old gas line went straight out the back wall and was visibly capped a short distance from the gas meter. A simple pull out job. Upon...
Replies
Views
I am hoping you can help me, I live in a high wind area and following the recent storms I noticed that when I got home a metal plate had fallen from the top of my gas fire and become lodged inside the fireguard, from what I have managed to research online my fire appears to be a Baxi Allure...
Replies
Views
Hi all. My mother has a large lounge with central heating. Because the layout forces a sofa to block a rad she also uses a portable gas heater in the winter months. She now wants to replace this with a fitted unit. The lounge has a faux surround on an external wall with no obstructions outside...
Replies
Views
R
I am wanting to install a gas stove fire (Stockton stove - small) to my pre cast flue, i have checked that this fire is suitable for a pre cast flue. It will connected to the flue on the rear of the fire. would all I need for this is a closure plate? or how would i do this? (obviously i will be...
Replies
Views
Dotty
D
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock