Search the forum,

Discuss Gas Engineer/ Plumbing Course in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

So I fully expect to get some stick for this one but I'll ask anyways.

I am currently employed as a manufacturing engineer, however I'd like to take a course in either Gas Engineering or Plumbing (or both), during evenings/ weekends.

I'm not expecting to do a quick few week course and suddenly become a fully competent plumber/ gas engineer, however I'm wondering if there is a way for me to get the relevant training and certification to carry out plumbing work and gas work (oven installation, boiler installation etc.)? My main goal is to be able to carry out these jobs on my home, future properties and probably friends and family etc. If its something I really enjoy then perhaps I will go further pursue a full career in it.

As I said I expect some stick from this, likely to be told its not possible but any advice or thoughts would be appreciated

No stick Matt just simple -NO.
Can I become a manufacturing engineer by attending a college training course ? Would I get a job at your current place of work on the strength of that piece of paper ?

Last edited:

I am currently employed as a manufacturing engineer, however I'd like to take a course in either Gas Engineering or Plumbing (or both), during evenings/ weekends.

I'm not expecting to do a quick few week course and suddenly become a fully competent plumber/ gas engineer, however I'm wondering if there is a way for me to get the relevant training and certification to carry out plumbing work and gas work (oven installation, boiler installation etc.)? My main goal is to be able to carry out these jobs on my home, future properties and probably friends and family etc. If its something I really enjoy then perhaps I will go further pursue a full career in it.

As I said I expect some stick from this, likely to be told its not possible but any advice or thoughts would be appreciated
See what the local College has on offer mate

I am using a academy in Bristol to learn the trade as well as on the job training with a gas engineer it’s a little faster than the collage route but will still take a good 2 and a bit years to just be qualified in plumbing and not gas. I my self am a mechanical engineer and transferring the skills into the plumbing trade is not that bad, I have enjoyed the theory of the course and putting it into practise in practical sessions and on the job. If you want to become qualified it will take time no ifs or buts about it. If you want an insight to plumbing to help family and friends out on less demanding jobs short courses and books are available.

How many thousand are you prepared to spend on tools etc before you decide if you want to do it for a living?

I wouldn't bother at the moment, don't believe all you hear about earnings in the plumbing game. There are easier and better paid careers out there at the moment and the gas industry is expensive, comes with a lot of responsibility and at the moment people are working for peanuts.

I was out of work 12 months ago and while I had hundreds of offers only a couple were worth even considering. One company was offering only 15 quid for CP12 work.

Screw up in this job because your rushing around chasing targets for pocket change and at best you will get sacked but could also land you a stretch in her majesties.

Considering the regulations, the quality of work I see being left daily is deteriorating. Boilers literally thrown on the wall and the lads doing them are doing two a day and its people like me who get to see the results a year later when I service them or have to fix poor work. Only one person is benefiting here and its not the installer or the customer.

I went to a boiler today that an engineer had recently fitted a new gas valve. He hadn't even adjusted it, the boiler was struggling to burn gas because the gas to air was all out. It's dangerous and if that boiler went bang and killed someone then that engineer would be off to prison.

I think about not renewing my gas qualifications every time they come up, this year may be the year I quit. Sorry to put a downer on it all but you come into this game thinking its going to be easy and you are in for an expensive painful 10 years learning.

Reply to Gas Engineer/ Plumbing Course in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock