Search the forum,

Discuss Gas Engineer Demand? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Rangemistress

Hiya,

I am new here and was wondering if I could kindly borrow your experience please?

I am not trying to advertise in any way here, but just to work out if something is a possibility, so I will have to limit the details so I don't get accused of anything!

I recently had a discussion with a friend about supply and demand of gas engineers at the moment. The conversation was based around a potential interest in some gas appliance installation/commissioning engineers that would be supplied with their own van and work a 4-day week (no weekend work), but would be required to travel nationally from a Midlands base, with a salary in the region of £36k+.

My question is this: with the pros and cons of being self-employed vs employed, do you think there would be a supply of engineers that would find this package attractive or do people much prefer to work only on a regional basis?

Please note that this is in no-way a vacancy advert and I am not looking to find any candidates, I am simply interested in people's preferences in the industry.

Very grateful for any opinions you have and I'm sorry if this post is in the wrong place :)

Thanks,
Rangemistress

The answers easy would you take that package if it were offered to you, in short never ask others to do what your not prepared to do.

Hi rangemistress, i would say £700+ for a four day week would be a great job for one and all, throw in career prospects and i'm sure you would get an excellent response, good luck,
regards ged.

four day week:),cannot be bad,on the other hand you end up putting all your eggs in one basket,been there:rolleyes:i would rather in hindsight stay self employed but would consider a small amount of subcontract work.:D

thats damn good money in my eyes employed or self employed id seriously consider it.

The answers easy would you take that package if it were offered to you, in short never ask others to do what your not prepared to do.

Well I'm not a gas engineer so I'm afraid I'll hold my hands up to having no clue what's involved in a typical day, so I wouldn't say I was a good judge to answer that question!

Thanks for the responses all :)

why a 4 day week?

travelling nationally would leave you too tired to do the work, been there seen it done it, people wont last long travelling nationwide even for £36k, you need to establish regional areas especially if your trying to provide back up/ cover, you wouldnt be able to provide a decent service to customers one guy nationwide.

seems a bit of a cut in earnings from £99k p.a to me, apparentley.
but then again, there is 24hr in a day x 4?. so what we looking at is 12hr min x 4 = 48hr week plus nights out?.

i would say it isnt that good but i was self employed working 24 hrs a week servicing and maintenance work around ipswich earning 2000k on average a week

why a 4 day week?

travelling nationally would leave you too tired to do the work, been there seen it done it, people wont last long travelling nationwide even for £36k, you need to establish regional areas especially if your trying to provide back up/ cover, you wouldnt be able to provide a decent service to customers one guy nationwide.

There would be a team of engineers working nationally, therefore enabling the 4 day week pattern. Obviously it would be impossible to expect one person to cover the entire nation properly! Nights out would be in the region of once every 2-3weeks and it would probably be around 12 hours a day for the 4 days, simply due to logistics!

or a bird who does your head in, and its good to get away for a few days every couple of weeks :p

im just back from doing a 6129 and there was a couple of guys there who were gas engineers getting a refresher ,they were based in the midlands ,covered a huge area ,had a good basic plus bonus (£34k plus ???)..coincidence ?????done a fair bit of travelling and every day was along day ,,,,make a right few quid though (it wasnt bg but it was a big energy supplier );)

nah yer probably have to go round following a load of immigrants attempts at plumbing, probably the team of fitters that BQ employed to install bathrooms, what a joke they were.

If it seems to good to be true it probably is

i would say it isnt that good but i was self employed working 24 hrs a week servicing and maintenance work around ipswich earning 2000k on average a week

£100K pa ???? so the training centres don't lie!!!

2k a week is possible yes, but not after your 6129. Do you know whats required to earn that much?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Gas Engineer Demand? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock