Search the forum,

Discuss Gas Engineer Courses in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi

I am after some advice please.

I am looking at training to become a gas engineer. I have done some research and have come across various courses which last a few weeks (after which and providing I pass I would be registered on the gas safe register). I am fully aware these courses do not provide the skills and experience of an apprenticeship as I have seen the negative comments regarding them on here; however, an apprenticeship would be extremely difficult for me to secure with so much competition and people with previous experience (I have none). I am 37 and this would be a complete career change for me having only worked in customer service roles: although I am certainly not doing this on a whim. Whilst I will try my best to secure an apprenticeship before going down the course route as my last option, I was wondering if anyone has had any success with these courses (I understand it would be almost impossible getting a job with British Gas etc) but are social housing firms more flexible?
I called one of the fast-track courses mentioned above and spoke to a lovely person who advised me to try and get an apprenticeship as they are highly regarded. He said if I do manage to secure a place then with time, effort and dedication I will go far and there is a market for women gas engineers as there is a current shortfall of them. Unfortunately I do not know any gas engineers (friends or relatives) who can help me on this journey so any genuine and helpful advice would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Combined with your age you have no experience whatsoever so I think your chances of securing an apprenticeship are probably very slim to none. Go to your local FE college and attend a plumbing starter/evening course to see if you have any aptitude for it and then take it from there.

Combined with your age you have no experience whatsoever so I think your chances of securing an apprenticeship are probably very slim to none. Go to your local FE college and attend a plumbing starter/evening course to see if you have any aptitude for it and then take it from there.
I thought this regarding the apprenticeship. Age is not on my side. If I done the fast-track-course and and was then registered as gas safe would there be a chance of employment do you think, for example are social housing firms less selective? One of the courses actually arranges 40+ hours with an experienced engineer to build your portfolio and put in for the test so you don’t need to ask for a mentor.

would there be a chance of employment do you think,

Full employment, No, you'd lack experience.

You'd need to work for someone who could mentor you for at least a year and they wouldn't want to pay you much during that time.

No-one is less selective when lives at risk.

I suspect you'll have to pay for the privilege of those 40+ hours of portfolio building but do check. What makes you think you'll get through a fast-track course with no experience when even a course administrator "recommended" you try and find an apprenticeship instead?

Be careful with social housing and similar
You will be expected to do 8-10 services a day and travel between

I suspect you'll have to pay for the privilege of those 40+ hours of portfolio building but do check. What makes you think you'll get through a fast-track course with no experience when even a course administrator "recommended" you try and find an apprenticeship instead?
The mentor is included in the total cost. Basically I asked the course administrator about apprenticeships vs courses, so he was just answering my question and confirming what I already thought (apprenticeships are better). He never discouraged me from doing the course. I called a couple of places up and on the course which gives a mentor the chap said the last woman they trained went straight on to get a job (for social housing). Obviously he could have been making this up but both chaps I spoke to seemed optimistic (unless they just didn’t want to burst my bubble)

Last edited:
Full employment, No, you'd lack experience.

You'd need to work for someone who could mentor you for at least a year and they wouldn't want to pay you much during that time.

No-one is less selective when lives at risk.
I completely understand this as safety is paramount. I would be happy to work with someone on my two / three days off a week with no pay to build my portfolio but I don't even think this would be easy to secure.

Have you even considered the cost implications of doing an apprenticeship should you get one? You wont be on £25k a year + benefits.

Have you even considered the cost implications of doing an apprenticeship should you get one? You wont be on £25k a year + benefits.
Yes I think as an apprentice at my age I would be on approx 13000 per annum which would be a drop but the way I look at it is it is a career and that’s what I want. I know it would be a few years down the line before I earned higher pay. The pay is not the issue it’s getting an apprentice as I am aware there are younger more skilled folk out there than me.

Last edited:
More like minimum wage at £12.5k pa however you seem convinced there is a demand for female gas engineers. Respectfully I don't know if there is or why there would be if there is a glut of heating engineers in the sector anyway. I'd make sure of that before committing any dosh to a course provider who will always tell you what you want to hear.

More like minimum wage at £12.5k pa however you seem convinced there is a demand for female gas engineers. Respectfully I don't know if there is or why there would be if there is a glut of heating engineers in the sector anyway. I'd make sure of that before committing any dosh to a course provider who will always tell you what you want to hear.
I’ll be honest I have no idea if there is a shortage of female engineers, I’m only repeating what the first chap told me. He just seemed a genuinely lovely guy of the old school variety. He never tried to sell me the course either so he was definately not after my dosh. What both chaps did mention was that a woman engineer would appeal to older customers and also women who feel vulnerable. I could quite see this myself. I will definately do further research before committing to anything though as I don’t have money to throw away.

Don’t believe it they will tell you anything to sign you up. You will not get employment after a fast track course. Most employers these days require a minimum 2-5years experience. Your option will be self employed and unless you have a little black book of engineers to call when you get stuck then you are going to look silly in front of customers. The thing of elderly and women wanting women is rubbish I’m not being sexist but a lot of the elderly and even many women are as they don’t think it’s a job for a woman. Do as someone said above do the college route. You will actually learn

There maybe an alternative why don’t you train be become a smart meter installer with a big company they will train you and guide you accordingly.

I was faced with redundancy a few months ago I applied for several jobs got a few interviews one social housing group said they didn’t think I was experienced enough for the gas engineers post (I was a gas engineer at the last place for 5 years). It’s very difficult for a newbie to find a job in our industry.

Don’t believe it they will tell you anything to sign you up. You will not get employment after a fast track course. Most employers these days require a minimum 2-5years experience. Your option will be self employed and unless you have a little black book of engineers to call when you get stuck then you are going to look silly in front of customers. The thing of elderly and women wanting women is rubbish I’m not being sexist but a lot of the elderly and even many women are as they don’t think it’s a job for a woman. Do as someone said above do the college route. You will actually learn
Thanks for your honest answer. I have been looking at the college routes but they also want you to be employed in the industry and have one or two days a week in the classroom. That’s the difficult part...finding someone who will let you shadow them. Maybe this will be a pipe dream at my age but they do say you are never too old to learn

There maybe an alternative why don’t you train be become a smart meter installer with a big company they will train you and guide you accordingly.

I was faced with redundancy a few months ago I applied for several jobs got a few interviews one social housing group said they didn’t think I was experienced enough for the gas engineers post (I was a gas engineer at the last place for 5 years). It’s very difficult for a newbie to find a job in our industry.
Thanks I will look into this. It’s definitely an option but I’m not sure how hard it would be to get into this role either. I suppose that’s where I have to do some leg work now if I am to succeed in some way or another getting into this industry.

Can I ask a question regarding this as I hadn’t even looked into this option...I have just done some research on this and it seems that I have to pay for the training myself. I have no issues with this but again I am not guaranteed a job at the end of it. Would the chances of obtaining a job be quite high once my training was completed which is approx 3 months. If I did get a job as a meter installer how would I approach the company with the question of training to become a gas engineer...I could not see them allowing me to shadow anyone during a working day when I am supposed to be installing meters. Can I also ask what is the average wage of this job.

I wouldn’t be paying for any training if it were part of the role they have interviewed you for. Have you ever done any plumbing? Soldered a pipe? Hung a radiator? Do you understand a heating system??? These are the questions you need to ask yourself. There are loads of time served plumbers and engineers on here that will still tell you everyday is a school day

I wouldn’t be paying for any training if it were part of the role they have interviewed you for. Have you ever done any plumbing? Soldered a pipe? Hung a radiator? Do you understand a heating system??? These are the questions you need to ask yourself. There are loads of time served plumbers and engineers on here that will still tell you everyday is a school day
I have no experience. You may ask how I know I want to do this...but people constantly tell you it’s never too late to learn, and I am hoping this is the case but it seems extremely difficult to get on the ladder so to speak. I’m not expecting to be servicing boilers after a few months I just want to gain experience to achieve my goal. Sometimes parting with a bit of money might be the only way to at least get your foot in the door. Maybe starting out as a Smart Meter Installer is an option, I’m still looking at this route. Perhaps this is a pipe dream but I will at least try.

Many colleges will offer a plumbing taster course. This would be a great intro. You may find you hate it

I’ve been a self employed plumber for 2 years now. I started as a mate after being made redundant from a building firm I was with for 12 years.
Lucky enough I’d done a few jobs with a plumbing firm whist building and they knew my capabilities. I then signed up at 35 for college and a City & guilds LV2. I’ve now completed all courses and gained on the job experience through Mybuilder and word of mouth plus 2 jobs a week with a GS Engineer.
I’m now looking at doing my GS through Gas Flare in Bristol for £3999+VAT.
We had a young Indian guy who was on our course for a property developing family expecting to be earning 30K within the first couple of years with Only estate agent experience. He could not even solder properly!!

I’m still astonished at the amount of people that think they can change a career from shirt and tie to a highly skilled trade with £’s. I’m not someone you wants to discourage just tell it as it is.

Hope this might give people who are thinking of a career change a little insite to what’s involved.

Regards. Pete

Hi

I am looking at training to become a gas engineer. I have done some research and have come across various courses which last a few weeks (after which and providing I pass I would be registered on the gas safe register). I am fully aware these courses do not provide the skills and experience of an apprenticeship as I have seen the negative comments regarding them on here; however, an apprenticeship would be extremely difficult for me to secure with so much competition and people with previous experience (I have none). I am 37 and this would be a complete career change for me having only worked in customer service roles: although I am certainly not doing this on a whim. Whilst I will try my best to secure an apprenticeship before going down the course route as my last option, I was wondering if anyone has had any success with these courses (I understand it would be almost impossible getting a job with British Gas etc) but are social housing firms more flexible?
I called one of the fast-track courses mentioned above and spoke to a lovely person who advised me to try and get an apprenticeship as they are highly regarded. He said if I do manage to secure a place then with time, effort and dedication I will go far and there is a market for women gas engineers as there is a current shortfall of them. Unfortunately I do not know any gas engineers (friends or relatives) who can help me on this journey so any genuine and helpful advice would be appreciated.
Thanks for your honest answer. I have been looking at the college routes but they also want you to be employed in the industry and have one or two days a week in the classroom. That’s the difficult part...finding someone who will let you shadow them. Maybe this will be a pipe dream at my age but they do say you are never too old to learn
Hi, you are definitely never too old, I was older than you when I decided to come into this industry. I cant stress enough on the importance of following the apprenticeship route. There is a massive ammount of technical certificates to be gained out there all backed by C&G ,Bpec, NIC. But the only one that counts is the work related qualifications ie C&G 6189 -11 And then onto the level 3 which leads to your ACS.(gas) if you choose. As stated by others employers wont recognise technical certs. The private colleges will charge a fortune. Go back to basics knock on doors and get an apprenticeship, sit in college with all the kids, I did, you will learn how to do things properly. Find somebody local to shadow, the experience is priceless. Hope this helps.

Go on a gas course and apply for british gas, thats what i did. British gas do not want experienced engineers if they are going to train you, they want fresh meat they can train. When i was there the group behind us had a 57 year old guy on their adult apprentice scheme .

The fact you're a woman will help you get a job.

I believe there are some fast track success stories but you need to be very lucky getting a mentor for the 2 years you'll need.

I think most fast track people either end up installing or flipping burgers.

Go on a gas course and apply for british gas, thats what i did. British gas do not want experienced engineers if they are going to train you, they want fresh meat they can train. When i was there the group behind us had a 57 year old guy on their adult apprentice scheme .

The fact you're a woman will help you get a job.

I believe there are some fast track success stories but you need to be very lucky getting a mentor for the 2 years you'll need.

I think most fast track people either end up installing or flipping burgers.
Do you mean go on a fast-track gas course and then apply with British Gas?

Hi, you are definitely never too old, I was older than you when I decided to come into this industry. I cant stress enough on the importance of following the apprenticeship route. There is a massive ammount of technical certificates to be gained out there all backed by C&G ,Bpec, NIC. But the only one that counts is the work related qualifications ie C&G 6189 -11 And then onto the level 3 which leads to your ACS.(gas) if you choose. As stated by others employers wont recognise technical certs. The private colleges will charge a fortune. Go back to basics knock on doors and get an apprenticeship, sit in college with all the kids, I did, you will learn how to do things properly. Find somebody local to shadow, the experience is priceless. Hope this helps.
The problem is I can’t get an apprenticeship as although there is no upper age limit...in reality employers want young blood. I have applied for a few apprenticeships but heard nothing so I think It’s unlikely I will fine one...that’s not being negative just truthful. So I think I will do the course and then just hope afterwards I have a chance to succeed in the business...or get an apprenticeship after the course. I am not expecting to earn 30k plus as that would take years of experience to get to a level like that...I want to learn the job and become experienced and hopefully become a good engineer.

Hi Opal99.

3 years ago I started down a similar path. I am 29 and had limited experience in but had wanted to pursue this path and go into the Gas industry. I researched fast track courses, distance learning packages, local colleges etc not knowing which path was best with the experience I had but also the difficulty in getting an apprenticeship and having bills to pay!

My local college didn’t offer a course that was accessible to candidates new to the Gas industry unless it was through an apprenticeship - not all do so this is something to check when you speak to them. There’s different categories of entry depending on your experience.

What I decided to do in the end was to take a course through a local training centre which was affiliated to BPEC (so the same as what you would learn at college) whilst working for a local Guy to build up experience. This essentially gave me an apprenticeship type way of learning without a formal apprenticeship however this is by no means an easy option as you will have to find a local company/person who would be happy to take you on and bite the bullet in terms of minimum wages whilst doing it! It took me 18 months to qualify. However that’s when it gets even tougher as you still have very little experience and so options are limited in terms of company’s wanting to employ you as most will ask for a minimum of 2 years if not 5 years experience.

I did manage to find a job though and am still learning every day! The way I did it isn’t necessarily the best way to do it as I’m sure other posts will say but It’s certainly possible which is what I wanted to show however it is tough. But as long as you are willing to work hard for it, good luck to finding the correct course for you.

Hi Opal99.

3 years ago I started down a similar path. I am 29 and had limited experience in but had wanted to pursue this path and go into the Gas industry. I researched fast track courses, distance learning packages, local colleges etc not knowing which path was best with the experience I had but also the difficulty in getting an apprenticeship and having bills to pay!

My local college didn’t offer a course that was accessible to candidates new to the Gas industry unless it was through an apprenticeship - not all do so this is something to check when you speak to them. There’s different categories of entry depending on your experience.

What I decided to do in the end was to take a course through a local training centre which was affiliated to BPEC (so the same as what you would learn at college) whilst working for a local Guy to build up experience. This essentially gave me an apprenticeship type way of learning without a formal apprenticeship however this is by no means an easy option as you will have to find a local company/person who would be happy to take you on and bite the bullet in terms of minimum wages whilst doing it! It took me 18 months to qualify. However that’s when it gets even tougher as you still have very little experience and so options are limited in terms of company’s wanting to employ you as most will ask for a minimum of 2 years if not 5 years experience.

I did manage to find a job though and am still learning every day! The way I did it isn’t necessarily the best way to do it as I’m sure other posts will say but It’s certainly possible which is what I wanted to show however it is tough. But as long as you are willing to work hard for it, good luck to finding the correct course for you.
How long was your course? I know I would need to accept minimum wage. I think I will just go for it but like you I will have to do it the unconventional way.

I think a lot of the problem you will experience here is that you say you’re going to have to build up the experience and expertise but from from whom?? I’m not being negative but if you don’t get any sort of plumbing background then a lot of jobs will utterly baffle you.

The problem is I can’t get an apprenticeship as although there is no upper age limit...in reality employers want young blood. I have applied for a few apprenticeships but heard nothing so I think It’s unlikely I will fine one...that’s not being negative just truthful. So I think I will do the course and then just hope afterwards I have a chance to succeed in the business...or get an apprenticeship after the course. I am not expecting to earn 30k plus as that would take years of experience to get to a level like that...I want to learn the job and become experienced and hopefully become a good engineer.

I get your dilema. The sad part is the company I did my apprenticeship with has had nothing but trouble with the 16-18 year old apprentices. The usual lazy approach or basically they just cant do it. Never under estimate how hard work this job is. And whilst learning, some of it is mind numbingly tedious. Its not unusual to never get a reply from plumbers re jobs, remember you are contacting a busy individual in most circumstances. I applied to dozens, I dont necessarily think its an age issue. Good advice from others may be to try British gas apprenticeship scheme, I have heard before they take their quotas of "oldies" . Good luck!

I think a lot of the problem you will experience here is that you say you’re going to have to build up the experience and expertise but from from whom?? I’m not being negative but if you don’t get any sort of plumbing background then a lot of jobs will utterly baffle you.
We all have to learn from someone...none of us are born to do a particular role...obviously many people will be unwilling to help but I am sure with effort then someone will...I don’t expect it to be easy but at the same time I won’t just give up.

Hi

I have just completed my qualification and am now qualified, I rang every gas engineer in my area and luckily one agreed to help me, this will be your best shot, although the courses will only provide you with the safety knowledge to pass the qualification, actually doing the job is a whole different thing, I am qualified but I still work with my engineer gaining experience one day a week and I’m still far from fluent in breakdown and repairs, installing and combo swaps is easy but you will struggle learning S plan and y as the course does not cover this. Il be happy to help in any way I can, because of how hard I found it.
[automerge]1599774343[/automerge]
I have just completed my qualification and am now qualified, I rang every gas engineer in my area and luckily one agreed to help me, this will be your best shot, although the courses will only provide you with the safety knowledge to pass the qualification, actually doing the job is a whole different thing, I am qualified but I still work with my engineer gaining experience one day a week and I’m still far from fluent in breakdown and repairs, installing and combo swaps is easy but you will struggle learning S plan and y as the course does not cover this. Il be happy to help in any way I can, because of how hard I found it.
email me if you want any advise
[automerge]1599774692[/automerge]

Don’t do smart metering, they don’t teach you anywhere near what you need to know but put you in a position where you are gas safe but without relevant knowledge, I know this because I work for the biggest and they are the worst of them all

Last edited:
I’ve been a self employed plumber for 2 years now. I started as a mate after being made redundant from a building firm I was with for 12 years.
Lucky enough I’d done a few jobs with a plumbing firm whist building and they knew my capabilities. I then signed up at 35 for college and a City & guilds LV2. I’ve now completed all courses and gained on the job experience through Mybuilder and word of mouth plus 2 jobs a week with a GS Engineer.
We had a young Indian guy who was on our course for a property developing family expecting to be earning 30K within the first couple of years with Only estate agent experience. He could not even solder properly!!

I’m still astonished at the amount of people that think they can change a career from shirt and tie to a highly skilled trade with £’s. I’m not someone you wants to discourage just tell it as it is.

Hope this might give people who are thinking of a career change a little insite to what’s involved.

Regards. Pete

I'd say about half of the group I

Regards. Pete

Funnily enough we had a couple of estate agents on our course, they were expecting to makes huge amounts of money by just doing landlord safety checks using the contacts they'd built up in the industry. Slight spanner in the works was the change to having to wait 6mnths before doings cookers & fires which had just come in. Dropped one of them a whatsapp the other day to see how things were going and didn't hear back from him, but when we'd had a catch up just before doing ccn1 he was thinking he would have to start working behind the bar in his local.

OP, I'd recommend getting into plumbing first, understanding the hydraulic side of a central heating system takes a while and you are always learning on the job. The recommendation of others on here to go to your local FE college is a good one. There will be jobs that you will be called out to do as a gas engineer that will require a proper understanding of the plumbing side of things and the fast track course will not pass on the knowledge required to do these jobs. On the course I was on about half of us were pre existing plumbers, the other half had done an extra 4 weeks plumbing 'foundation' at the college as they were new entrants and they really struggled on the course and a big proportion of them were already thinking they had made a mistake by the time we were doing the portfolio, they couldn't see how they would get employed or have enough knowledge and experience to work for themselves.

Reply to Gas Engineer Courses in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock