Search the forum,

Discuss Gas combi boiler research and advice needed thanks in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Morning everyone,

I am thinking about getting a new gas combi boiler in the future and am doing my research now so I can start saving.
At present I have a gas combi boiler placed on the kitchen wall, vent through the wall:
  • Vokera easi heat plus C 25,
  • DHW gas rate: 24.3 kw (20 m bar)
  • Central heating gas rate 19.1 kw (20 m bar)
  • DHW 37 to 60 degrees
  • 15mm Pipe works
  • 6 Radiators throughout flat
  • 1 bathroom
  • The boiler is 7 meters away from the bathroom as it is currently in the kitchen
  • I live on the top floor flat of a two storey building
  • Hot and cold water is mains fed (no tanks or water storage heater)
  • 0.5 to 1 bar water pressure (9 litres of water filled a bucket in 1 minute)
  • 35 Degrees rising main
What would be a good quality gas combi boiler for long term usage? I would be thankful for any advice or suggestions :)

24/25kw
Won't go wrong with any of these:
Worcester, Baxi, Viessmann, Vaillant.

(The following is my subjective opinion only and based very little on substantial fact)

Baxi is most cost effective and easy to install but has worst control options.
Worcester is best for parts availability and good with 'easy control'.
Vaillant and Viessmann are probably best boilers technically but are not designed specifically for UK market with Vaillant being better for parts and stability in UK market and Viessmann edging it on technical capabilities.

All these differences are marginal and all are good boiler brands.

With your low heating requirements I would look for the lowest minimum output.
Worcester 8000 or vitodens 100-W would be a good start with min outputs around 3kw

Last edited:
Are you happy with your existing boiler performance?
You don’t have very good flow and pressure from your main water supply.

Baxi is most cost effective and easy to install but has
worst control options. ? why?
fit with esi control.

Choose an installer carefully and they will take a few measurements and make a reasonable recommendation. Maybe ask for a couple of options ref. price

Baxi is most cost effective and easy to install but has
worst control options. ? why?
fit with esi control.
Like I said just my opinion, I'm sure it's also the cheapest so it's not fair to expect it to complete.

Thanks for the advice
Are you happy with your existing boiler performance?
You don’t have very good flow and pressure from your main water supply.
The cold water pressure is a lot better than the hot water pressure but this boiler is basic with just two control dials one for hot water and one for the central heating. I used to live in a flat around the same size as my current one and I am sure there was a 30 kw Viessman boiler, it had a few controls on it including an eco dial and winter and summer mode and the water pressure was great.

The thing with this boiler and I am not sure if all boilers do this but every month or so I need to adjust the DHW temperature as it is never consistent and because it is just a dial I have no idea what the temperature is. Does summer/winter and eco dial make a difference?

A boiler installer suggested the following any thoughts thanks;

• Ideal logic 30KW 7 years warrant with magnetic filter programmer and wireless room stat
  • Worcester 30i combi with 5 years warranty, magnetic filer and programmer and wireless
  • Ideal Atlantic boiler with 5 years warranty, magnetic filer

Altho none of us agree on the best options we do tend to agree on the bad ones and ideal are not a bad boiler.
Its probably far more important to have a good installer that will do a good job and be available for you in the future.

Worcester I has a longer warranty than 5 years

7 standard
8 with a Worcester filter

ask them for a price on a baxi 830

Thank you for all the helpful advice, the gas pipe into the boiler seems to be around 22mm, I can't see a number on it but is more than 15mm.
Also how does the 30 kw make a difference compared to the current 24 kw combi boiler, what are the advantages if it?

Last edited:
Sorry I should have mentioned the reason I ask for KW is the flat is around 600 square feet if this helps determine the size of a boiler thanks.

Reply to Gas combi boiler research and advice needed thanks in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock