Search the forum,

Discuss Gas boiler leak/advice please in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

S

Stuartith

Hi all, looking for some advice please. So I've got a 25 year old Ideal classic NF40 boiler. We live in a naturally warm house so only have the heating and water on for an hour in the morning and an hour at night. The last week or so we've noticed it's stinking of gas on start up. Pilot light is a healthy blue, flu isn't blocked and fans OK. After about 10/15 mins smells gone. This happens only when it's cold so I'm guessing something is expanding and sealing under heat. No smell when it's off and I've used snoop leak detecter can't see anything. We've turned it off as it's getting worse and got a gas safe engineer we know coming round next week, we'll use immersion for hot water. Fan, both pumps, pcb and ignitor all replaced in last 5 years. Any thoughts on what it might be and could anyone recommend some direct replacements? 3 bed house, 6 rads, hot water storage tank, microbore tubing all to be left in place, just literally fit a direct replacement. It's mounted in the kitchen, flu straight out wall behind it and above a drain if I need a condenser model? Don't really know the difference tbh. Sorry about the war and peace, appreciate any replies! Thanks again

Sounds dangerous and you’ve done the right thing turning it off. I can’t offer advice as to what it is, as I don’t know, could be a failed flue seal.

You can’t buy new boilers that aren’t condensing.

I think Baxi may do a direct rear flue option.

Yes baxi 600 or 800 heat only are both rear or top flue compatible

Reply to Gas boiler leak/advice please in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

D
Recently noticed a gas smell coming from my ideal classic RS50 boiler. Cadent have been out and confirmed a small leak and capped off the gas. The question I have though is that the gas smell only appears when the boiler fires up not when the pilot is burning normally. Gas smell continues as...
Replies
Views
Hi, I need some urgent advice. I've Just come home after going out for evening, to discover hallway floor and kitchen floor covered in water. On further inspection I discovered that water was coming from boiler cupboard. On looking in boiler cupboard I found boiler has started leaking water...
Replies
Views
Some advice needed please re a 3 year old combi gas boiler. The hot water works but no heating. A gas engineer was already booked to do the annual safety check before the fault developed. He said the boiler is ok with no fault. He said there must be a leak under the floor boards causing hot...
Replies
Views
Hi sorry im a newbie, pls help if u can. I had a new bathroom installed about a yr ago and since then when i flush the toilet the room stinks of sewer gas. Not only does the b/room stink it also smells in the kitchen too, which is directly below the toilet/b-room. It doesnt do it everytime...
Replies
Views
I have a "Firebird Envirogreen Condensing Combi Oil Boiler 26kW" a part has went and I can't find it anywhere, I was at every plumbers merchant near me but they all need to ring Firebird who are closed till next week. I wonder if anyone can help me find this part please? It's a pressure sensor...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock