Search the forum,

Discuss gas boiler has been idle in storage for 2 years, will it still work? in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

M

malex83

Hi all,

A friend of mine no longer needed a one year old condensing gas boiler so I took it off his hands and left it in storage for the last 2 years until I needed it. The time has come to replace my old boiler with the one that is in storage but when I was speaking with a plumber about swapping them out, he warned me that the boiler which has been idle for 2 years might not work due to dirt getting into it.

This boiler is an ideal logic regular boiler and has been lying on it's side on a table in an unheated and unused guest house. As an unused space, there is plenty of dust which has settled in the room. I did not think to cover any of the openings with protection.

The plumber said that I would be taking a lot of risk to fit this previously used and idle boiler as it might not work once he has certified it and I would have to pay him anyways for the work. Then he suggested that he could sell me a new boiler.

Is the risk as great as the plumber suggests or is he exaggerating so he can also sell me a new boiler?

Thanks for your help

Reply to gas boiler has been idle in storage for 2 years, will it still work? in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Had conventional boiler and tanks removed last year and new combi fitted and just recently had it serviced but the guy who did it has given me a gas warning notice for at risk as the outside wall meter box has been drilled through for the gas pipe to go horizontal straight to the boiler. The...
Replies
Views
Hi all, A friend of mine gave me his gas boiler (24KW logic ideal) after only 1 year of use and it has since been sitting idle in storage for 2.5 years. I recently contacted a plumber to arrange having my current old boiler swapped with the boiler that has been in storage. The plumber warned me...
Replies
Views
Hi, I am replacing our 11 year old boiler (due to H.Ex. leak) with a new one. This is in a "sealed" system with red expansion vessel in airig cupboard & a megaflo (no tank in loft). However the exisiting boiler is Vaillant ecoTEC 4xx boiler - which is satated by vaillant as an "open vent" boiler...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Hi all, thanks for adding me. My Veissmann v50 combi gas boiler has recently started to supply only lukewarm water to the bathroom above it. This is about 3 metres away, so quite a short pipe run. It supplies hot water fine to the kitchen taps, which are about 1 metre away. It also supplies very...
Replies
Views
A bit of clarification - I have extended a 3 bedroom semi detached and at the time central heating pipes were going in I told the plumber could I have 2 zones - one for bedrooms upstairs and another for the living areas downstairs. Now the plastering has been finished and I am costing the combi...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock