Search the forum,

Discuss Gas Boiler Futureproofing? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
W

WalkingWallet

Any advice would be welcome before I blow a load of cash....
1. Old floor-standing Potterton Kingfisher just about dead so I need a new boiler... arguably NOW as I detect spillage...
2. I have plans to extend the house including into the loft by the year end so any boiler I choose needs to fit with that... however the spec likely to change as increasing floor area and converting loft.
3. Am I ok choosing a boiler now or am I likely to change the boiler again when I do the renovation?
Currently I have the old potterton with header tanks in the attic and hot water tank in 1st flr airing cupboard. After renovation I will likely convert the attic in to bed with shower. So am thinking I need a System boiler right? Whereas a straight replacement for the Kingfisher would be a Regular boiler? Or can I buy a system boiler, using the current hw cylinder and scrapping the cold tank..... and later replace cylinder with a pressured one? Also, will this mean any changes to pipe runs?

I see pound note signs whirring in the plumber's eyes!! I am guessing at least a cpl grand maybe three? So need to get it right.

Thanks

K

Yep done. My plumber is there now and has called his mate for second opinion.... Thanks. I think they're debating it as my basement is so filthy but am sure they'll decide it's spillage - hence urgent buying decision needed!

size new boiler to suit future build. either connect to existing untill further work or repipe/change ready to suit future work. your gas safe engineer will be able to give you the best advise tbh.

if hot water demand is increasing and a bathroom going on top floor? look into an unvented hot water system. which must be fitted by a g3 qualified engineer so it doh bluw up

Thanks so you mean I can buy a system boiler and just install it on current system and it will work?

it will need to be adapted to work, but its not that much bother normally. What you really want to do is make sure you dont fit a new boiler to a dirty system as it wont last too long.

as i said ask you gas safe engineer, he can see the system and we cant.

Depends if your old system is fully pump'd or part gravity system ?

I think part gravity. There's a pump by the cylinder that does the central heating (also replaced recently!)

Yep done. My plumber is there now and has called his mate for second opinion.... Thanks. I think they're debating it as my basement is so filthy but am sure they'll decide it's spillage - hence urgent buying decision needed!

take my advice now !!!

Get experience plumber to the work for you , it will cost you more if you do not !

Should be closed

And it shall be done!

You need an EXPERIENCED gsr in to look at your boiler. We cannot and will not give advice on the installation or repair of boilers for your own safety.

Please go to Gas Safe Register | Ensure your gas engineer is registered. or post a thread in the 'I'm looking for a plumber / gas engineer' section of these forums remembering to include your location. [DLMURL="http://www.ukplumbersforums.co.uk/im-looking-plumber-gas-engineer/"]I'm looking for a Plumber or Gas Engineer[/DLMURL]

Thank you.

http://www.ukplumbersforums.co.uk/central-heating-forum/42241-notice-gas-safety-related-advice.html

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Gas Boiler Futureproofing? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Hi All, what's the cost of a service for an unvented system ? (valiant boiler & mega flow cylinder). I was charged ÂŁ320.00, for the following: Boiler service - no parts changed. Change wireless thermostat (honeywell to Tado), I supplied the thermostat starter kit. is that about correct ? Also...
Replies
Views
Full disclosure, I am an Electrician. One of my older clients has just had her fire capped off because it doesn't comply with today's regs and was told the regs are now retrospectively applied. This is the opposite of what I am used to. For example, if I do an electrical inspection and find a...
Replies
Views
Had conventional boiler and tanks removed last year and new combi fitted and just recently had it serviced but the guy who did it has given me a gas warning notice for at risk as the outside wall meter box has been drilled through for the gas pipe to go horizontal straight to the boiler. The...
Replies
Views
I need someone to replace my boiler, I am thinking to get an Intergas HRE 24 SB. Our current boiler (and old Ideal) is in the kitchen, and we would like to relocate it to the laundry room or loft, so a new gas line needs to be run. I would prefer someone local in Norwich that can also do the...
Replies
Views
Hi, I am a homeowner but caught between a rock & a hard place. I am trying to get a Vaillant ecoTEC 630 plus serviced but the gas safe engineer & Vaillant engineer say one thing, whilst the SGN engineer says another. I do not know how to proceed and would value some informed advice. The rock...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock