Search the forum,

Discuss Gas Bill at £2106.42 in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

No. It should be a smooth circle.
Thank you for getting back to me so soon - I do appreciate your help.

On my original post I asked if the high reading could relate to me not having any hot water at the beginning of the year - my landlord took weeks to fix but never said exactly what the fix was (not that I would have probably understood) but could the high meter reading be related?

No. The meter should only read the gas consumed when gas is being used.

Hi, thank you for replying. Daft question, I’m sure - gas will be being used when I am running the hot water (I have a combi boiler)? Should it use gas when I’m not running any hot water?

After the landlord fixed the water issue (back in Jan) the water is now scalding (mainly in the kitchen). Could a setting of higher water temperature use more gas?

Thank you - again

Last edited:
Hi, please can I ask another question - on running the hot water the numbers in the red section of the meter are increasing 2 and 3 numbers at a time - should it do this?
Thank you
Yes. It will skip numbers when using gas as the electronic digital display on your Meter type works of an electronic pulse. Therefore it will appear to jump. The random counting it does is not an indication of a fault.

Yes. It will skip numbers when using gas as the electronic digital display on your Meter type works of an electronic pulse. Therefore it will appear to jump. The random counting it does is not an indication of a fault.
My bad. Sorry. Didn’t see the picture of the digital meter.

Hotter water temp would use more gas, but nothing in the range of what you state your gas bill is.

Going through the thread, maybe you should ask the gas supplier when was the last time they read the meter before you moved in, also ask them for a billing history on the meter.
You may be paying the bill for someone who lived there before you.

Hotter water temp would use more gas, but nothing in the range of what you state your gas bill is.

Going through the thread, maybe you should ask the gas supplier when was the last time they read the meter before you moved in, also ask them for a billing history on the meter.
You may be paying the bill for someone who lived there before you.

Hi, thank you for replying. I have a photo of the meter reading when I moved in 3 years ago and it was at 1579. From speaking to SSE I don’t think anyone from their company has looked at it as they’ve been reading my neighbours with the serial number they have on my account. I have one bill from British Gas - I was with them awhile when I first moved in (they also had the wrong serial number). My usage on the BG bill was Oct 15 - 01560 to Feb 16 - 01796.

I do have an online account with SSE but the previous readings on there are what they taken from my neighbours meter.

Hope I’m making sense - it’s all very confusing.

My neighbours meter reading is 3332 - the meters were installed on the same day and she has lived their longer than me.

So this problem is in hand? The utility company know they've been reading the wrong meter and you've given them the correct reading and serial number from the correct meter so you don't have to pay the wrong bill but will eventually pay the correct one?

Edit...by the way a utility company cannot back-bill you for energy use over 12 months ago

Last edited:
So this problem is in hand? The utility company know they've been reading the wrong meter and you've given them the correct reading and serial number from the correct meter so you don't have to pay the wrong bill but will eventually pay the correct one?

Edit...by the way a utility company cannot back-bill you for energy use over 12 months ago

I’m waiting for SSE to advise if a chartered back bill has been authorised. They have admitted it’s there fault but I’m at a loss as to why my reading is so high - me and my neighbour live on our own, work all day, rarely use our heating and have a massive difference in readings - she’s lived there longer and the meters were installed on the same day.

Thank you again

So the back-bill when it arrives will be excessive, what did the utility company say about that?

So the back-bill when it arrives will be excessive, what did the utility company say about that?

I was led to believe that the chartered back bill was to clear the 2 thousand pound bill as I’ve been paying £29 per month (but based on neighbours usage/readings). I take it chartered back bill is not this? I have emailed proof that I sent them the correct serial number but they said it wasn’t on the national grid so sent them the number that was on my first BG bill (which unbeknown to me was my neighbours). I am refusing to pay until it’s determined why my reading is so high....they’ve said they can’t send anyone out until national grid is updated but that can take up to 10 days. I’ve sent numerous emails and don’t know what else to do to be honest. Since Monday I’ve not used my heating or oven as worried the readings is going to keep increasing.

Can I ask, would it be worthwhile me speaking to National Grid?

What if there is a leak and they are refusing to come out until national grid is updated.

you need to speak to ofgem and get the complaints procedure rolling

Thank you. To be honest I wanted to give them chance to deal with it (and thought I had to allow them time) but you’re right and I will - numerous emails have been sent and I haven’t had one response. Thanks again for the advise and the link

What if there is a leak and they are refusing to come out until national grid is updated.

If anyone reports a gas leak they have to attend and do.
It makes no difference whether they have the meter recorded. It could be an old capped supply with no meter.

I've worked on commercial buildings with no gas supply where the occupants have reported a gas smell, National Grid or whoever for the area Always attend

The Energy supplier, as it's they who own the meter.

Ah thank you - I’ve just spoken to SSE and they informed me it’s the landlord. The chartered back bill has been rejected as it was done too soon. All they they seemed bothered about is correcting the mix up relating to the bill amount not that it’s a very high reading and determining why. Also been told that the person who is dealing with this issue is not in until Tuesday. Will definitely be changing suppliers once this is resolved.

Recommendations welcome

Last edited:
Just to reinforce my last post if SSE continue to say it's the Landlords responsibility;

A quote from the Database site,
https://www.xoserve.com/index.php/about-us/

How do I change my Meter Information?
Unfortunately, Xoserve is unable to update your address details directly. Xoserve holds the gas supply point register (national database) on behalf of the Gas Transporters which is updated by gas suppliers using electronic data files. If a supplier identifies that a customer address/meter is incorrect then they should submit a request to Xoserve in order for details to be corrected.

Just to reinforce my last post if SSE continue to say it's the Landlords responsibility;

Unfortunately, Xoserve is unable to update your address details directly. Xoserve holds the gas supply point register (national database) on behalf of the Gas Transporters which is updated by gas suppliers using electronic data files. If a supplier identifies that a customer address/meter is incorrect then they should submit a request to Xoserve in order for details to be corrected.

Thank you, I have been looking on their website this afternoon but just confused me.

Is there a way I can double check that I’m still not registered?

When I’ve just spoken to supplier she was shocked to learn that it’s not on the national grid even though I have sent them an email from a member of their team informing me of this.

Hi, I’ve spoken to supplier today and again asked the question of ‘has my meter not been looked at for the last 3 years’ and was advised that every 6 months engineers look at all meters in their area even if they do not work for the supplier that provides the gas. Is this correct? I have in my head a picture of seven dwarves doing the checks from the goodness of their heart :rolleyes:

Hi, just the one from British Gas. Can I ask, why you’ve asked? I’ve been asked to take meter readings for the next 5 days.

Historic bills would show consumption over time ........... and whether they were using estimated or actual readings

Historic bills would show consumption over time .. and whether they were using estimated or actual readings
It’s a quarterly bill where I submitted the reading on me moving in and the final reading (one that I gave current supplier). Could 3 months usage be helpful for me to submit the the supplier do you think? Thank you again for replying.

It’s a quarterly bill where I submitted the reading on me moving in and the final reading (one that I gave current supplier). Could 3 months usage be helpful for me to submit the the supplier do you think? Thank you again for replying.

That depends on what the 3 months consumption says

How long have you been in this flat?

That depends on what the 3 months consumption says

How long have you been in this flat?
Hi, sorry for late reply - for some reason I didn’t receive an alert. I’ve lived in the flat 3 years.

I’ve been asked to take readings from the supplier every day until Sunday - the reading is going up by one everyday. I have not had the heating on everyday neither have I cooked everyday...not sure if this reading sounds about right??

I’ve been asked to take readings from the supplier every day until Sunday - the reading is going up by one everyday. I have not had the heating on everyday neither have I cooked everyday...not sure if this reading sounds about right??

If you're not using any gas appliances the meter should not be showing any increase but it is, that is what you should be communicating to your supplier.

Reply to Gas Bill at £2106.42 in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock