Search the forum,

Discuss Gas Analyser for someone starting out in the gas trade in the Gas Engineers Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi,

Just wanting to know what the best gas analyser would be for someone starting out. Obviously at the moment cost if a big factor, some of the models are really expensive.

I have been looking at the TPI DC710 as this seems the cheapest and doesn't seem like the annual calibration cost is very expensive.

Please let me know if you have an opinion on the TPI DC710 or another model which is suitable for someone starting out in the trade.

Many thanks

IMO don't cheap out on tools. Should pay for a decent tester in a few jobs and then you'll be using it every day. I passed last year and got kane 458 with some kit for about £ 850 direct from kane. Made my eyes water at the time but never regretted it.

thanks for the feedback

that's what a couple of the experienced engineers have told me.

£850 is alot of money for me currently at the moment though. Comparing to the current price for the TPI DC710 £425 its a massive difference but again I maybe sacrificing on quality, easy of use etc by not going for a kane or anton

I haven’t had the pleasure in using many different analysers, not used tpi, but I like the Kane ones. I suppose it depends on what you want from your analyser, I wouldn’t just to go with just affordability, talk to Kane, tpi, whoever and make your decision based on this? Are you self employed or with a company? If SE, don’t forget it’s the ex vat price, because I think you claim the vat back. Also I think there’s something to help you buying tools, have a look on HMRC.

Might I suggest to contact these (GES): Kane Flue Gas Analysers - Gas & Environmental Services Ltd - http://www.gesuk.com/fs/18.html, company gets a great deal of praise from another site. I linked Kane because I’m biased towards them.

I’m with WC1, don’t cheap out. It’ll pay for itself.

I’m a testo fanboy. Got a commercial fga, temp/gas/pressure probes.

You can get a basic testo machine/printer for around £500. Don’t discount them because they’re typically known for being expensive.

Edit: as you can see, people are slightly biased towards the brand they use. It’s understandable, once you commit to a brand, due to cost, it’s unlikely you’ll change.

At least we’re honest about being fanboys lol. I’ve used testo and Kane. Much prefer the testo. But, the testo is twice the cost of the Kane, so my preference is expected.

Kane are great.
Don’t forget you have to send it off for calibration each year.
Kane are really fast, fixed cost and you get continued warranty if you use them directly.

Kane are great.
Don’t forget you have to send it off for calibration each year.
Kane are really fast, fixed cost and you get continued warranty if you use them directly.
This is why my preference for testo over Kane can’t be taken as gospel. It’s all personal preference and people stick with what they started out with.

Honestly, I’d stick with one of the known brands (I’ve not seen the tpi one) and you’ll be fine.

Something else that just came to mind....

You’ve spent thousands of pounds in course costs/your time becoming qualified and you wanna cheap out on one of/if not the most essential pieces of kit we use (especially for a newly qualified engineer who is yet to develop their other senses/experience).

All very good feedback from everyone, especially on short changing myself considering how much I spent on the course already, so thank you all.

I will definitely ring around and speak to a few of these suppliers to get a more informed opinion. I didn't know about possibly claiming back vat price if you are SE or possibly help with buying tools so ill look into this further

Reply to Gas Analyser for someone starting out in the gas trade in the Gas Engineers Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock