Search the forum,

Discuss Garden tap fittings query in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi - I'm a DIYer, successfully fitted an external garden tap, supply sourced from downstairs loo, standard 13 mil copper pipework, in-line cut-off. WEATHER PROBLEM - its worked fine for years EXCEPT twice now I've had split pipe due to freezing (at -8C ) despite foam protection.
My thinking - change the copper pipe run with garden hose (cheaper and easier to replace)
Looked - can't find - need fitting (olive or solder) one side to connect to pipe stub, other side, serrated hose connector same as standard tap connector.
Do they exist, if so, where, please ?

Foam insulation (protection as you call it) doesn’t stop freezing, only delays it. Can the pipe be run internally and then a garden tap wall plate?
Simple answer is "no". The garden wall tap (with soldered pipe inlet) is at the end of the outhouse wall. The loo (water source) is at the other end. Pipe runs along outhouse length, about 4 metres to the garden/tap.

Just thought of this (getting old, I'm 80) - if required fittings don't exist, one (bodge?) solution would be just cut the pipework to stubs, use jubilee clips to fix the hosepipe. Simple but possibly effective ?
Would prefer fittings, but if they don't exist ....

This seems to be the fitting I need (2 of) but solution rather pricey at £13
My second thought (jubilee clips, about £1 a pair) if I haven't already got some in the shed seems a simpler cost-effective solution.
Thank you for replying.

Well, I suppose you could (perhaps should?) reasonably argue that so long as the mains are protected by a double-check valve and there's an isolator, it's not much different from connecting a hose to a garden tap at one end of the garden and putting a tap on the end of the hose via a hose connector and 3/4" male iron to compression fitting onto a short bit of copper into the extra tap.

Once you consider the far-end tap as a fitting on the end of the removable hose, the situation feels rather different.

In Australia, nothing is allowed to be touched in water supply plumbing, unless its being done by a licensed plumber or a registered plumber under the instruction of a licensed plumber. DIY's shouldn't be playing or attempting any of this stuff. Go home. Call a professional. If you need a tap to your backyard - then buy a long garden hose ie 50m or whatever you need. Its a bit annoying given the training plumbers have had to go through, plus the expensive license fees, and public liability insurance required in some states ie Victoria. You can be prosecuted for "bodging" plumbing as well and on top of working on plumbing pipes without a license (even if you are doing a perfect job). My apprenticeship was hard work and so was my plumbing license studies. I don't like the sound of tampering with water supply pipework unlicensed at all. In England and throughout Asia its all open slather isn't it?

I had to look up "open slather" as it's not a term I'm familiar with. "Slather" has a completely different meaning in the UK!

For the benefit of any others interested:

What does it's open slather mean -
Australian and New Zealand slang. a situation in which there are no restrictions; free-for-all

Fair comment? 🤔 There are plenty of regulations In UK!

I've seen enough bad work done by those who ought to know better (i.e. 'competent persons') to start worrying about a DIYer who makes the effort to come on a web forum and take advice on how to carry out the work in a sound manner.

Any such system is a kind of cartel in a sense, but sometimes necessary for safety. The fact that there is one in Australia for basic water plumbing doesn't make it a good system for the UK. Australian law does not apply here as the OP is from Bedford UK and not Bedford in Australia, however much you may dislike the laws in the UK. In North Korea, you wouldn't be allowed to criticise the law, but that is equally irrelevant. I'm not quite sure why someone in another country, quite independent of the UK, is annoyed that, in the UK, people are DIYing work that he has to pay a lot of fees to be allowed to carry out because he's in a different country governed by different laws.

In any case, under UK law, even attaching a garden hose counts as a plumbing installation and has to meet certain requirements, obviously easier to enforce by engagement than by threatening people with fines.

So long as the OP fits a £5 double-check valve before his proposed pipework as he has described, and he's not proposing to run underground hoses, soaker devices, or similar high risk installations but just a tap, he could use old inner tube to plumb it in as far as the main risk here, viz. contamination of water, is concerned (not that I'm suggesting that idea would work: it wouldn't).

Last edited:

Reply to Garden tap fittings query in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi - I'm a DIYer, successfully fitted an external garden tap, supply sourced from downstairs loo, standard 13 mil copper pipework, in-line cut-off. WEATHER PROBLEM - its works fine for years EXCEPT twice now I've had split pipe due to freezing (at -8C ) despite foam protection. My thinking -...
Replies
Views
I had an outside tap fitted by a professional plumber last autumn. During the recent cold weather the feed pipe under the kitchen sink froze and the compression joint where the pipe enters an isolation valve now leaks. The outside tap was covered for the winter by an insulating blanket. I...
Replies
Views
Hello, I have a troublesome fixed 15mm copper pipe with isolation valve going to my toilet fill valve. It's too tight for a Flexi hose. Can I use a push fit tap connector instead which will give me more flexibility in fitting?
Replies
Views
I have read a few threads including one by Debbie Stano that were similar to my issue but that thread stopped a while back without any resolution I could see. I'm in Brisbane, Australia but I'm after general ideas from anyone here or in UK (I realise this is a UK based site). Point form...
Replies
Views
Hi, I have a leak on the live side of one of my rads, in the GF loo. Its a condensing combi system, the house is only 5 years old, so fairly new. The leak is at the bottom compression fitting on the lockshield rad valve. The rad is a chromed steel towel rail, and the valve is brass/copper, the...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock