Search the forum,

Discuss G3 - Competent Person Scheme for Self Certification in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi,

Thanks in advance, I’m not gas safe registered, but will be doing a G3 course to get my G3 ticket shortly.

After I get my G3 ticket, just wondered what schemes are available to sign up to to self certify, and what requirements do they need?

Thanks

Have to go through building control sorry to say

If I remember correctly can be anywhere from 50-150

Can join competent person scheme.

Oftec took 150 off of me to add it onto my card.

Unless its changed!

Have to go through building control sorry to say
No you don't Shaun in fact there is a move afoot with a lot of BC to not allow direct registering they want it all do through CPS I guess cos they haven't got any officers who know what the hell they are looking at.
Click4 have a look at this link.

Thanks, I will take a look at the link

if you are qualified to work G3 appliances, and they still need to inspect it :S that seems silly. Lol no doubt it’s true though from prior dealings with them.

But would effectively be more qualified to inspect it yourself than the inspector who comes out lol

No you don't Shaun in fact there is a move afoot with a lot of BC to not allow direct registering they want it all do through CPS I guess cos they haven't got any officers who know what the hell they are looking at.
Click4 have a look at this link.

Inspectors don’t go out all they do is need a copy of your qualifications and pay the fee

Only inspect when your not qualified

When they do final sign off of extensions / building works that required planing you might of thought that the clearly incorrect & sometimes dangerous unvented cylinders, clearly installed by the builder would have caught there eye but sadly not. As for the house holder who is paying for their services there is no protection & no comeback.
Plenty of Laws in this country just no policing.:rolleyes:

Problem is when the property is sold these things can sometimes surface.

Or when something goes wrong the insurance isn’t valid.

But agree all these regulations, many of which are imposed because of shoddy work and incidents.... and yet the people who contribute towards these regs coming to fruition still carry on under the radar and often don’t get noticed due to lack of policing it.
[automerge]1565687542[/automerge]
Lol one more question,

But what is people’s preferences for make of cylinder, looking at what to fit for my first install, it seems to be between Kingspan and Gledhill with Kingspan being more expensive for this particular cylinder and Gledhill having better ERP rating and available in the smaller more suitable capacity for the property.

Last edited:
Just received this back today,

Good Afternoon,

You will need to submit a building notice application to us,

This can be submitted via our website www.cncbuildingcontrol.gov.uk

Please select the option for domestic alterations and the fee category as individual minor works.

The fee will be £168.00 incl VAT.

Once you have submitted the application you will then be given a reference number which you can use to book the on-site visits.”

So even if I’m qualified they want me to book an inspection visit for an inspector to come down who may not even be qualified themselves or know what they are looking at :S seems counter intuitive.

If that’s the case there seems to be no point even trying to get qualified, if they still send somebody down to inspect it same as a DIYer.

Spend the money on joining a competent person scheme. Plenty of them.

Just firing off a few emails now enquiring.

But they come up with these regulations and say that you must legally notify them and be qualified.

So you make an effort to get qualified, and then try to notify and they make you jump through hoops and don’t want to know making it prohibitively difficult.

Then when you don’t notify they screw you to the floor boards if they find out with unlimited fines and can’t sell house because of no certificate.

£168 and a site visit by somebody who may not even have a G3 qualification themselves lol?

Costs me 2.50 through gas safe maybe fire them an email they might be able to do something

2.50 on oftec after the 150 to register the qualification.

Once a member of the competent person scheme you, notify building control before installation (never have though), install to regs, register install with competent person scheme and pay nominal fee (oftec 2.50) competent person scheme notify local building control who then send out certificate.

Or don't join a competent person scheme and pay building control to inspect and certify (250 notes round our way)

Just worth noting that it is not down to us to notify to BC but the house owner, they are the ones having the work installed that requires it.
So long as we are qualified (Part G) & install it correctly, we probably have a duty of care as an "expert" to inform them (customer) of the requirement to notify but it is really down to them, it is their responsibility, not ours.
If you belong to a CPS & do this for them it should set you apart from those who do not!!
Well that's the idea any road.:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Thanks,

I will email them, but assumed registration was more than just paying the fee? Thought they check all your insurance and complaints procedures etc then do an in person assessment also? So quite a long winded process? If need be will have to be done lol but nothing seems easy.

I thought well I have some to do in coming months, do everything legal and properly, get the G3 ticket.

But then as I’m finding now they make it prohibitively difficult even to legally register if you don’t belong to a scheme.

Then they wonder why so much illegal work goes on? If it wasn’t for the certificate and insurance issues of not doing it legally at this point I would of been saying sod it and doing it regardless after getting the qualification / ticket to say I’m safe working on them, and there is probably many who do.

I'm about to do my G3 course and it's over 2 days at a training centre. Upon being qualified, I'll receive a photo card and this is what the course is saying:
"Allows the individual/business to register with a competent person scheme allowing the self certifying of unvented hot water storage systems installations.
If you choose not to join a Competent Persons scheme you will need to notify the local Building Control".

Well course all done today :) and passed.

Now just need to sort out a means of notifying and wait for the card.
Ive tried following up with building control, but either I’m getting people who don’t know what they are talking about responding, or they don’t want to know.

As I replied back to last message saying why does it need inspecting if I’m already qualified and deemed competent, and who do I send my qualification to.

Had no response for about a week,

Then got this back today,

I understand that once you have qualified and become a member of a Competent Persons Scheme you will be able to carry out installation and register the works with the Competent Persons Scheme who will issue Building Regulation compliance certificate to your client, but until then the work will need to be signed of by Building Control, hence the reason we will want to inspect and to receive copy of you qualification.
Provided all is in order we will issue completion/sign off certificate to your client.
Hope this clears matters up for you.”

But I had to press them in my response who I send my qualification to and after 3 times asking finally told me an email address.

Guess fact they are so insistent to inspect though means no discount on the fee despite being qualified lol.

In another area I enquired about a few months back with electrics they just said to me, send the qualification to them... and they will sign it off for a reduced fee.

But this one won’t budge and wants to inspect.

An irony though when person they send out may not even hold a G3 qualification themselves :S

Reply to G3 - Competent Person Scheme for Self Certification in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock