Search the forum,

Discuss Futureproofing UFH zones worth it, plus advice? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Hello all,

DIY non-expert here, please be gentle.

I'm about to purchase an underfloor heating kit to be installed in our kitchen (total area 9.5sqm, less if not under units, so a small area!). Obviously this would be a single zone system, so a simple purchase.

However, where I'm uncertain is whether to try and futureproof my purchase should I want to extend the piping to the room next door (dining room) at a future point. The kitchen will have a concrete subfloor, but the dining room is a suspended timber floor, which unfortunately I actually installed not so long ago with a failure of forward planning. I don't have the budget to get our builder/plumber to lift the floorboards and extend the system right now, but I figure that it wouldn't be too hard to do in future, with the between joists tray type install.

Should I purchase a 2 zone manifold now, and get the plumber to route some blanked off piping towards the dining room to future proof it, or is that a pointless idea?

Also, my boiler is in the loft. Should I put the pump up there, or put it in the kitchen under the sink/behind a future cupboard location somewhere?

A final question is on brand - I am looking at the Prowarm kits from The Underfloor Heating Store (Travis Perkins spinoff), or those available on theunderfloorheatingwarehouse website. Has anyone got any thoughts on those two options in terms of quality and ease of installation?

Thank you in advance for your help and advice. I am nervous about shelling out lots of money (for me at least) on this so want to get it right.

Thanks . Ed

The prowarm kits are good value for money, I have used on single room and whole house installations (the largest had 12 circuits and 900 meters of pipe)

If you think there is a real possibility of extending it into the dinning room then fit a 2 zone kit.

I wouldn't fit a UFH to a ventilated suspended floor though, UFH works best with concrete screed as it's the thermal mass which makes UFH work best.

Fit the manifold down stairs if possible but you will need a dedicated circuit to the manifold from your boiler.

Under no circumstances should the manifold be pipped off the old radiator pipework! (I went out to a DIY install to find they had just taken the flow and return off the lounge radiator to serve the conservatory UFH )

Call underfloor heating superstore and talk it through with them, I have always found them very helpful.

If you are undertaking the work yourself ensure you pressure the pipework as per the instructions, I have seen several installations with flow issues due to this important step not being followed.

Hope the above helps.

Matt

Last edited:
As a side note - you could always contact one of the Forums sponsors.
Scroll up and look right.
They might be helpful also!!!

Reply to Futureproofing UFH zones worth it, plus advice? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock