Search the forum,

Discuss Future ensuite - capped water / waste water install in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Australia
I am having a house built and I want to provide capped hot/cold water and waste water to a bedroom for a future ensuite.

I don't want the builder to do the ensuite now because I am already over budget.

They are saying they can't provide capped water and waste points to a non-wet area (i.e. a carpeted bedroom).

My question is, can I get sewer/water pipes installed later through the ceiling and/or walls, without having to go through the concrete slab? If so, is it a straightforward job or complex/expensive?

See https://*********/DJWzeSO for the appx layout of future ensuite (external wall)

Could you install the pipework and just leave it unconnected eg bring to a utility area and make it so they just need connecting ?

1. "Can't" or won't. What is their rationale for not doing as asked. Seems a perfectly sensible thing to do.
2. If there is a genuine building regulations type reason, why can't they run all the pipework, then remove it leaving easy access to replace?

1. "Can't" or won't. What is their rationale for not doing as asked. Seems a perfectly sensible thing to do.
2. If there is a genuine building regulations type reason, why can't they run all the pipework, then remove it leaving easy access to replace?
1/ "Can't" apparently, but in reality it is probably "won't"
2/ Can you please clarify / elaborate on this so I can suggest to them

bed 4 ensuite.jpg

The only reasons I can imagine for not running it are:
1. A new bathroom is notifiable to Building Control, who may want to check drains for correct installation. If they go as far as running the pipes this might count as a bathroom, leaving them open to action if it later proves the installation doesn't conform. In which case run the pipes in a way they can be removed altogether but leave sleeves in walls / floors etc to allow them to be reinserted.
2. The hot and cold connections would constitute "dead legs" in the pipework, which are discouraged under the Water Regulations. In this case I don't see why they can't be run to their intended positions, then disconnected at the source end (or never connected) and capped at both ends.

The builder may be shy of extras if things are already "over budget" - I would be. #justsayin

Reply to Future ensuite - capped water / waste water install in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock