Search the forum,

Discuss Full bore isolating valves- which way round to fit? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Hello chaps,

Just fitting some full bore isolating valves. No arrows on the casing for water flow direction.

The screwed joint is one side of the ball valve.

Is there any preference with which way to fit them ? Does it matter?

Cheers
11495.jpg

theres an arrow on them but normally the small / split outlet

If no arrow then shouldn't matter Andy but personally I would install with flow running from left to right in your photo.

I seem to remember when they first came out the joint between the two halves of the valve was alway to be on the upstream side.

Thanks for the info chaps,

I wonder what the reasoning is??

I fitted them the opposite way around- my idea was there was one less joint to leak on the pressure side.

I might swap them later.

Cheers

Mechanically they are symmetrical so it shouldn’t really matter.

I think most manufacturers add a flow direction arrow because it does matter with some other valve types and people expect to see them.

It’s a shame they don’t fit a gland but to the valve stem you could nip up to stop leaks. Great cavaliers otherwise.

I do generally find it’s the no brand crap that leak.

If no arrow, id always fit them with the solid inside face on the feed side, the solid machined side when you look inside the valve if that makes sense
Why, a fellow plumber disconnected the feed side of one of these in some flats, temporarily, as it wasn't letting by he for whatever reason didn't bother to cap it and went home, during the night the ball part blew out of the open end of the valve, the valve had no arrows, but if the valve had been oriented the other way it wouldn't have been able to happen

Reply to Full bore isolating valves- which way round to fit? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock