Search the forum,

Discuss Frost thermostat problems in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Sorry, this is a slightly unconventional question...
I have two wall-mounted Calorex dehumidifiers in my garage/workshop. These have fan heaters (2kw, I believe) built-in to them. The idea is to stop the dehumidifiers from freezing up. They were supplied with very cheap 2-wire thermostats with dials reading from 0-30˚C, which would turn the heaters on at around 7-8˚C no matter how low I turned the dials. This ran up a stupid electricity bill over last winter, so I replaced the stats with Corgi frost thermostats, supposedly rated at -5 - 10˚C, which I hoped I could set low enough to set the heaters to come on at 3-4˚C. No such luck - one won't come on at all, and the other comes on at 8˚C no matter where the dial is set.
Question - is there such a thing as a decent quality 2-wire no-volt thermostat that could reliably be set to power up these heaters at around 3-4˚C? These things have only cost around a tenner so I expect to need to pay more. I am no expert, as I'm sure you can tell, so advice would be very welcome.
Roger

Thanks - I always wonder about control devices that cost under a tenner. I'll have a look at Honeywell, it'll save me a lot more than the cost of a couple of thermostats and maybe stop 'management' complaining about the electricity bills.

Thanks - I always wonder about control devices that cost under a tenner. I'll have a look at Honeywell, it'll save me a lot more than the cost of a couple of thermostats and maybe stop 'management' complaining about the electricity bills.
The average home has over 10 honeywell products in it, in a building you are never more than 3m from a Hwell product, every turbo in every vehicle is fitted with a honeywell one ..under license. This is why I use them and incorporate them into my designs ...great quality
Rob Foster ....centralheatking

Hmm. I don't seem to be able to find a Honeywell frost thermostat for a no-volt system. The Calorex units require no-volt switching and 2 wire connections. There's not much choice for this spec, I'm finding. Anybody got any ideas?

The average home has over 10 honeywell products in it, in a building you are never more than 3m from a Hwell product, every turbo in every vehicle is fitted with a honeywell one ..under license. This is why I use them and incorporate them into my designs ...great quality
Rob Foster ..centralheatking
Any chance of posting the proof to these facts Rob?

Hmm. I don't seem to be able to find a Honeywell frost thermostat for a no-volt system. The Calorex units require no-volt switching and 2 wire connections. There's not much choice for this spec, I'm finding. Anybody got any ideas?

Use a 240VAC relay! Use the stat to power the coil of a 240V relay and then use the relay contacts as they are no volt. Simples! ;):cool:

Reply to Frost thermostat problems in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock