Plumbase - Special Offers and Perks on Plumbing Deals
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members

Discuss Freezing pipe prevention in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Bulk Workwear - Workmans Clothing and Protective Gear
I wish to prevent freezing pipes during winter when my house is empty several months
I understand there is a special programme for this purpose. Please indicate how to program this on my Bosch CR 400 EMS Control Unit using as little oil as possible. Which is the lowest outside temperature I can set for the heating to start? Do all radiators need to be open? Can radiators be set low?
I have downloaded an android app valled Bosch Control, is this or another app compatible with my CR 400 EMS? I find the Instruction manual rather confusing. If nothing else I would like to activate the boiler when temperatures outside drop to below 5 centigrade (lowest recommended by Bosch) at the same time I would like the temperature inside the house to be as low as possible.
I have just bought this very large old house in the country and must leave it empty next Tuesday.
Thank you for all advice.

king of pipes

Esteemed
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Fernox do a anti freeze inhibitor which you can add to the heating system, add a frost stat to bring the pump on a 5° also I would try to keep the tempreture to 10 °c this will of course require that boiler to operate on a very low setting ,while empty turn off your water supply and drain everything out hot and cold supplies. Kop

Attachments

king of pipes

Esteemed
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Ice road trucker territory then ha ha ft can be -30° in winter well he must be French Canadian then hes got the flag , no option drain everything then or get a house sitter for peace of mind I know a couple who do it and make a decent living from it looking after their pets to . Kop

Username is middle france too.

Either way, advice still the same?
Middle France rarely gets down to minus 5 let alone -40 where my daughter lives in the Yukon
a honeywell frost stat £10 set at + 3/4 c will suffice. If its good enough for Scotland
then it will be dandy 500 miles due south. Morning Dan centralheatking

gmartine

Gas Engineer
The OP really want's to know how to program a controller that doesn't appear to be sold here in the UK... I would contact Bosch technical in France and try and find an English speaker, they must have a helpline.
Post automatically merged:

Middle France rarely gets down to minus 5 let alone -40 where my daughter lives in the Yukon
a honeywell frost stat £10 set at + 3/4 c will suffice. If its good enough for Scotland
then it will be dandy 500 miles due south. Morning Dan centralheatking
Err I just checked the temps in Bourges which is middle'ish France, gonna be freezing cold overnight next week...

Last edited:
The house, is in France. Near a little town called Bressuire, between Nantes an Niort, the historic weather charts of this area are almost identical to those of London, just one degree warmer. It is unusual to get temperatures under 0 but it has happened to go - 9 for a few days some years. I am surprised the contol unit is not sold in England, I attach a photo. Perhaps someone will recognise it.

Attachments

Thank you so much Chris and Murdoch. Unfortunately we had to leave before your good advice was posted. I have done as Murdoch suggests. Left all radiators at a minimum the boiler at a minimum using just the special controller on the attachment below. The previous owner used this controller exclusively to control the temperature of the house. Chris obviously knows how to program and use this particular machine. I am so glad to have finally made contact with someone who understands the very complex controls. I studied the user manual but found it so complex I didn't dare tamper with it. I will pass the important information provided by Chris to the person I have left in charge in my absence and I believe that with the help of the technician that services the machine they will be able to set it up as adviced. All manuals in several languages are there. I hope to keep in contact with Chris. His advice will be of great help next winter also.

Attachments

Murdoch

Res.Electrician
^^ good decision

I’ve been in many a refurb during the winter, where the outside temperature is ok, but without heating the internal temperature of the property is extremely low .,

Our house was bought as a refurb after the heating was turned off and a short length of the incoming mains in the loft wasn’t insulated .. a complete new inside was required

Thank you so much Chris and Murdoch. Unfortunately we had to leave before your good advice was posted. I have done as Murdoch suggests. Left all radiators at a minimum the boiler at a minimum using just the special controller on the attachment below. The previous owner used this controller exclusively to control the temperature of the house. Chris obviously knows how to program and use this particular machine. I am so glad to have finally made contact with someone who understands the very complex controls. I studied the user manual but found it so complex I didn't dare tamper with it. I will pass the important information provided by Chris to the person I have left in charge in my absence and I believe that with the help of the technician that services the machine they will be able to set it up as adviced. All manuals in several languages are there. I hope to keep in contact with Chris. His advice will be of great help next winter also.
Without an actuator that "special controller" will only act as a mixing valve, primarily fitted to prevent excessively low return temperatures causing condensation in non-condensing boilers. Fitted with an actuator they are used to control outside temperature compensated flow temperatures or more often for underfloor heating systems.

Reply to Freezing pipe prevention in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net. Plumbing questions, answers, tips and tricks.

Plumbase Perks - Special offers for forum members
Power Shower Booster - Official PlumbersForums.net Sponsor
Test4Less PlumbersForums.net Sponsor
Wetroom Store - PlumbersForums.net Sponsor
Bulk Workwear - Workwear Sponsor for Plumbers Forums
uHeat Forum Sponsor - PlumbersForums.net
Plumbase - PlumbersForums.net Sponsor
Plumbing Advice - Find Plumbers Jobs
Corgi Direct - Plumbers Forums Sponsor

CorgiDirect - Discounted Corgi Related Documentation and Plumbing Supplies