Search the forum,

Discuss Freezing lead pipe? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

manx12

The client has a stop tap that does not work and wants to change it to a new stop tap... the only problem is the incoming mains is Lead pipework ...the stop tap on the boundary line cannot be turned off.. therefore I have to freeze the lead pipe ... what alternatives are best.... i have used the screwfix "arctic spray" on 15mm copper tube and it worked fine.. will this be sufficient?

can't see the can sprays being affective as lead is alot thicker than copper.
can you not hire a electric pipefreeze ?
then you'll have all the time in the world to fit a stopcock & leadloc.

If the outside stop tap cannot be turned off, you should certainly get the water undertaker to fit a new one as a matter of urgency. It's his responsibility I believe.

In the meantime I think a non-electric pipe freezer would do the job if you use the 22mm collar, and keep running in more refrigerant if needed to prolong the freeze. (Depends what sort of freezer kit you have). It helps that the mains water will be nice and cool at that point in the pipework.

If you have everything ready and to hand, the 20 minutes (approx.) that you can get with the initial freeze should be enough.

Last edited:
Funnily enough, I had a similar problem a few days ago, and had to freeze a pipe just where lead joined copper. The copper bit was only a centimeter long, so the freezer jacket had to straddle thick lead and thin copper piping.

I ran in 50% more refrigerant than normal, but even then the freeze just lasted long enough to do the job -- about five minutes instead of the usual 15 - 20 minutes!! I was very nearly caught on the hop this time! Just managed to tighten the compression joint before being soaked!!!

Didi a freeze yesterday on lead with my commercial freeze kit that uses the refrigerant.
used 500mg as it was bloody thick lead.
Plug lasted 4 hrs

any children under 11 living on premisis ,if so you used to be able to get local water board to remove and fit new at no cost to you

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Freezing lead pipe? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock