Search the forum,

Discuss Freezing Kits in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

WaterTight

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Never used one but want to get one.

Learnt from a previous thread here that Rothernberger ones are considered good. This is their basic kit for £80:

Rothenberger 6.4020 Rofrost Handy Pipe Freezing Kit

On screwfix.com the only one they offer is £40 more expensive.

Commercial Pipe Freezing System - Screwfix.com, Where the Trade Buys

But it comes with more stuff.

My questions is about how necessary/helpful the stuff is and whether it would justify the extra money.

It comes with sleeves for a greater range of pipe sizes (8-35mm instead of 15-28) but 15-28 is all I really want so that fine.

But it says it comes with a weighing scale. Is this to weigh the can and see how much you've got left? It also says it comes with a valve and hose. Presumbaly this is how you attach can to sleeve and get freezing... well the rothernberger one doesn't mention valves and hoses but instead comes with an allen driver and contact foam. What are these for? Do you need to buy other bits to use with the kit?

Bit confused. :confused:

not to sure on the can ones,we use 110v machine up to 54mm dia,no good if water is circulating though.

I would take the time it say's it feezes pipe for with a pinch of salt it all depends on what sort of job your doing how long it will take etc etc I have always found it easier to do a drain down on domestic properties and work at my own pace rather than clock watching Also the refills can be a bit pricey too.I was recently working in a care home and had to change a few TRV'S , lockshield valves and replace some leaking pipe work this place was huge and had around 94 radiators so a full drain down would have been a bit of a ball ache.Went to HSS Hire and got an electric pipe freeze,about £50 for the day got job done a lot quicker and easier with minimum disruption to the old dears in the home (they get cold quick)I only use pipe freezing if i have to.Im not really a big fan of the aerosol type had one or two misshaps with them but they can be very usefull sometimes. cant really help you too much as to the specifics of the two kits your looking at as i ve not used those sort before but i bet someone on here has Hope this has you out a little bit.

Last edited by a moderator:
never had much luck with this type of freezer kit theres one kicking around the back of my lock up
find the cans and foam muffs work well on small stuff to change the odd valve or washer where a drain down is a big job
hire the electric for anything largeror where theres a few to do in the same way as azzvon12

Hi. I have a bag and pipe kicking about somewhere, connect to a co2 bottle (available from the pub) has worked ok for me. If i can find it and you need same a few quid buys it. Good Luck

Attachments

• R65030.jpg
    R65030.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 88
Ive never used a freeze kit before are the rothenberger eco freeze any good some people say it takes forever to freeze pipes with it was thinking of getting a polar freeze kit not sure which is the best without spending alot of money.

co2 kits take same amount of time to freeze, only any good for quick cut and go imho as it can give at any time omho. only real option buy a freezemaster off ebay £450 2nd hand lots more new. had mine a few years and gets you out of all sorts with out the pain of a drain down. charge custards £50 hire fe per go, similar to canned spray and cheaper than drain down for them

I used the aerosol type for the first time last week to put a new stop tap in. I am well impressed £12 a can half a can to freeze a 15mm pipe. Gave me about 15 mins. I shall keep one on the van from now on!

co2 kits take same amount of time to freeze, only any good for quick cut and go imho as it can give at any time omho. only real option buy a freezemaster off ebay £450 2nd hand lots more new. had mine a few years and gets you out of all sorts with out the pain of a drain down. charge custards £50 hire fe per go, similar to canned spray and cheaper than drain down for them

Hi lame cheers for that.one thing whats omho and imho please sorry if it seems like a stupid question regards buttster

I use an electric Rothenberger kit that freezes pipes up to 22mm. Or at least I own one. It sits in the van gathering dust for 99% of the year. The other 1% of the time it's really handy, e.g. when you get to a job and you can't isolate the water because both stopcocks don't work.

It works very well on hot and cold water pipes (obviously hot water pipework needs to be cooled to room temperature first) but not so well on central heating pipes that are sludged up.

It's an expensive piece of kit, and as soon as it needs to be used the price goes up by £50. 8 uses covers the cost of the kit that way.

I'm not confident enough to use the gas ones to be honest, I like to know that the plug is definitely going to stay frozen once I open the pipe.

Ive never used a freeze kit before are the rothenberger eco freeze any good some people say it takes forever to freeze pipes with it was thinking of getting a polar freeze kit not sure which is the best without spending alot of money.

A good piece of kit, it's the one I use. What isn't in the manual is that you need to remove the control panel and top up the reservoir with water whenever it starts to take ages to freeze. It uses water as a coolant, and it runs out with use.

Once you do this, it keeps working brilliantly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Freezing Kits in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock