Search the forum,

Discuss Freestanding bath; standard taps in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

J

Jimbobagins

I have a freestanding bath to install - modern variety but with standard bath taps rather than floor standing. Has anybody done this and how did you connect the taps? Is there a tool or sequence which allows tightening of the taps?

Can you please include a picture.

Is the plumbing (the pipes) to be exposed? (Nothing wrong with that in my book even if it's not the modern way)

Do the taps still fit to the bath. You do get wall mount taps (I think you would have to consider condensation on the cold tap with those, so need specific design for that application)

Taps are normally BSP thread connections so either use a hose with BSP adapter at the end, or a solid pipe fitting to go on the end of the pipe that connects to the tap. Note BSP sizes are internal dia of the pipe.
The BSP fitting will have a washer in it (usually rubber for a hose, and fibre for a solid brass pipe connector fitting). That washer seals on the end face of the BSP threads that come out the tap (so make sure the end of the threaded pipe is nice and smooth. Just do up with adjustable spanners if you have access, or basin wrench if space is tight.

Best of luck, and keep asking what you don't understand.

Cheers,

Roy (amateur)

Reply to Freestanding bath; standard taps in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Forgive my ignorance, with this basic question, but I seem to be struggling to both understand, search for, and source, the appropriate washer, o-ring or gland, for this type of tap. Maybe, no one ever replaces this type of washer/component? Background: I discovered a leak in the cupboard from...
Replies
Views
Hi, I hope someone can help. I’m hoping this isn’t a permanent problem. We’ve converted a gravity vented hot water system, into an unvented indirect hot water system to improve pressure in the house. The previous cylinders are in the loft now they’re in the garage next to the boiler. We...
Replies
Views
I'm a council tenant and my bathroom basin is broken and needs replacing, it has standard pillar taps. Do you know if councils would ever replace it with a mixer tap one if I paid the difference? (I'm guessing no but it's worth a try). How much more complicated and time consuming is it to...
Replies
Views
I live in an apartment with a cold water tank. The cold water tank feeds the cold water tap in the sink and the bath. Recently, I refurbished my bathroom, and according to the plumber who fitted the new taps, high-pressure taps were fitted. Consequently, the water from taps is of a low volume...
Replies
Views
Hi I've recently had a new bathroom installed. I've noticed when I flush the downstairs loo there was a hammer type noise under the bathroom floor when the cold feed for the loo turned off/ same with the washing machine. So I turned off the mains water supply. Opened the highest tap first...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock