Search the forum,

Discuss Free boiler from ECO3, is it legit? in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

My old mother had a call out of the blue from (something) Energy, she didn't catch the name, who said because my father was on a qualifying benefit they could get a totally free new boiler. I think it's pure coincidence but the boiler has just stopped working properly (the hot water doesn't work) and a day later this guy calls! I just wondered if any of the gas fitters here had installed a boiler on this scheme?

What worries me is that the guy knew my mom's name and later found out when she'd last had a boiler fitted on a previous scheme (because my mom couldn't remember). He seems to know a lot about my mom and her central heating. And, of course, the totally free boiler sounds a bit too good to be true as I've only been able to find companies that will do reduced rate installation on ECO3.

Having said that they did have the previous boiler installed on a similar scheme for free. It's the call out of the blue that's got me worried.

Any advice or opinions on this?

It's when they start and say that the grant only covers a % of the boiler costs and you need to top it up yourself.

It's when they start and say that the grant only covers a % of the boiler costs and you need to top it up yourself.

Well this is what I expect would happen but the guy was adamant that there would be absolutely no cost to just replace the boiler (because it's broke). I've asked my mom to get the bloke's telephone number so I can call him but I was also interested if anyone on this forum had been involved with installing a boiler under the scheme and whether they'd ever done a zero charge install.

Even is this is legit be wary. Ive seen too many scheme installs that are quite frankly s#$t installs. Admittedly that was all oil but any really good installation will always carry a price

Even is this is legit be wary. Ive seen too many scheme installs that are quite frankly s#$t installs. Admittedly that was all oil but any really good installation will always carry a price

Customer had one fitted on a scheme. Didn't fit the condensate trap and just teed into washing machine appliance trap. Picked it up first service, tried to contact company but gone "out of business". Gone belly up, started next day under a different name, no responsibility.

Wind it on 5 years and phoned up to book the annual service, to be told "dont need it, just had a new one fitted. 12 months later, first service, they had taken out a worcester Camry and replaced it with exactly the same boiler. Didn't change the flue though that had corroded through. Cost to the customer, one new flue, decent run, the installation company didn't exist anymore under its previous name.

In my experience these schemes will only swap like for like, but if there’s any alterations to be done, gas pipe upgrade or running a drain for the condensate etc it’s all billed at a rather excessive rate, Can work out much more expensive than one of my regular quotes even though the boiler is “free”

In my experience these schemes will only swap like for like, but if there’s any alterations to be done, gas pipe upgrade or running a drain for the condensate etc it’s all billed at a rather excessive rate, Can work out much more expensive than one of my regular quotes even though the boiler is “free”

Yeah, just to be clear, this guy is saying it'll be zero cost fro the whole job, not just zero for the boiler. That's why I want to phone him myself to confirm. On the previous scheme back in 2013 they installed new boiler, TRVs, and all new pipework and that was done for zero cost.

Customer had one fitted on a scheme. Didn't fit the condensate trap and just teed into washing machine appliance trap. Picked it up first service, tried to contact company but gone "out of business". Gone belly up, started next day under a different name, no responsibility.

Wind it on 5 years and phoned up to book the annual service, to be told "dont need it, just had a new one fitted. 12 months later, first service, they had taken out a worcester Camry and replaced it with exactly the same boiler. Didn't change the flue though that had corroded through. Cost to the customer, one new flue, decent run, the installation company didn't exist anymore under its previous name.

Few years ago I ID’d a boiler for its flue position and gas pipe up a stud wall that was fit on a scheme for a tenant, the letting agent got gas safe out to look who agreed it was ID, the installer refused to fix the issues as he was sub contracting to a firm set up to do a load of these scheme installs and said it wasn’t his problem, the firm just did the installs they were allocated and then ceased trading so there was no comebacks to them and gas safe couldn’t do anything as they said there was no company to chase.

Sometimes makes me wonder what gas safe do with all our subscription payments!!

One I remember seeing was an eco scheme oil install. External boiler, tigerloop within 500mm of flue terminal, filter and fire valve on inlet to burner from loop, not on suction line from tank, flexi's outside of boiler casing and the condensate discharge not piped up, just left in the back of boiler casing.

...the installer refused to fix the issues as he was sub contracting to a firm set up to do a load of these scheme installs and said it wasn’t his problem,

In that case I would take the installer to the small claims court for compensation. It may not be his company but as the installer he is the only one responsible for the quality of his work.

There must be 'Terms & Conditions' available from somewhere if it is a Government Funded Scheme.

If you go ahead with it, just make sure you're with your Mum before she signs anything.

Reply to Free boiler from ECO3, is it legit? in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Morning to any Australians lurking around! Register its free, then message me, I'll sort your account out for you. We will need a moderator from each main country too. I'll post this in the Australian forum now.
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock