Search the forum,

Discuss Franke tap valve replacement in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

I'm trying to change a dripping cartridge in a Franke Panto tap. I have a new cartridge and after a fight involving a decent hammer I've managed to remove the relevant lever.
Inside, there is no hex head, double flat or anything else recognisable on the valve - there is what seems to be a slotted ring nut (10-12 radial slots around the edge) holding the valve in. I've tried chipping it round with a small chisel, even circlip pliers, but it doesn't want to go anywhere. The online Franke sheet suggests a 'valve key' to remove this, but makes no mention of it further and doesn't even show a picture. I can find nothing at all online, including the Franke website, about this. Anybody got any ideas? Or is it £200 for a new mixer, just to fix a drip? The next one won't be a Franke, at this rate...
Thanks
[automerge]1578235916[/automerge]
I'm trying to change a dripping cartridge in a Franke Panto tap. I have a new cartridge and after a fight involving a decent hammer I've managed to remove the relevant lever.
Inside, there is no hex head, double flat or anything else recognisable on the valve - there is what seems to be a slotted ring nut (10-12 radial slots around the edge) holding the valve in. I've tried chipping it round with a small chisel, even circlip pliers, but it doesn't want to go anywhere. The online Franke sheet suggests a 'valve key' to remove this, but makes no mention of it further and doesn't even show a picture. I can find nothing at all online, including the Franke website, about this. Anybody got any ideas? Or is it £200 for a new mixer, just to fix a drip? The next one won't be a Franke, at this rate...
Thanks
I haven't been able to remove it so have put it back together, but it's now dripping like mad, so I guess the whole tap's had it. It's not 10 slots, it's just 6, arranged in a circle. Looks like some kind of locking ring. The replacement cartridges are plastic with no obvious means of retaining them, hence the locking ring. Why on earth would they design it like this, and not with a simple hex nut fitting? Any recommendations for a quality make with more common sense? I suppose a nice, rubber tap washer would be asking for too much...

Last edited:
Looks like you need a valve key. Give them a call and they will send you one free. You will have had one when your tap was fitted.
Central Services
Our experienced customer services team are available to help with any problems and queries you may have.

Telephone - +44 (0)1782 599258

[automerge]1578318054[/automerge]
1578317985565.png

Last edited:
I ordered one yesterday. Came today, very fast service.
Thought it might come in handy.

Attachments

• 15784093326691789419575989242074.jpg
    15784093326691789419575989242074.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 11
I ordered one yesterday. Came today, very fast service.
Thought it might come in handy.

Thanks for the tip - unfortunately the lever was so badly corroded on to the cartridge that getting in off to fit the new cartridge has damaged the tap body. I've bought a new mixer with a more conventional cartridge design.

Thanks for the tip - unfortunately the lever was so badly corroded on to the cartridge that getting in off to fit the new cartridge has damaged the tap body. I've bought a new mixer with a more conventional cartridge design.

Thank you guys for all the advice above. No Panto guidance available on Franke’s site - though they were really quick to send replacement valves and - when specifically requested - a valve key - with proof of purchase (within 5 year warranty). My hot tap was easy enough to get into. NB for the novices like me, you have to turn off the isolated valves for both hot and cold. But then the cold tap wouldn’t come off - some gunk was gluing it on. But this thread encouraged me to keep trying and after some bashing with a small rolling pin I was able to get a flat head screwdriver in between the tap handle shaft and the slotted ring and lever the tap handle off. Cartridge installed; no more drips. Phew.

Reply to Franke tap valve replacement in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock