Search the forum,

Discuss Fog Horn Noise Hot Water in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

dave1606

Hello all,

moved into our first house about a month ago and we noticed every time we switch the shower on mira react thermostatic bar valve, there's a loud fog horn type noise for 3-4 seconds it only seems to do it when the hot water comes through any ideas?

It sometimes does it when we run the hot tap

Boilers a ideal logic 15 and the cyclinder tank is a indirect 150l

I have no idea what type it is conventional boiler? combi? there's no water tank in the loft.

Attachments

• 6ymws8.jpg
    6ymws8.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 53
Last edited by a moderator:
You have an unvented hot water cylinder and sealed heating system.
Doesn't look like you have a balanced cold supply unless there is a pressure reducing valve at the incoming stop tap. The cold water could be trying to force its way down the hot pipe at the shower making a noise

Dave we have to be care full on help given concerning unvented cylinders, you have to be qualified to work on them .
You a have a pipework fault ,what wont be helping , but a decent engineer would check a few other things first .

I managed to get a short video of the noise

[video=youtube_share;Rx3uDPaXlsk]https://youtu.be/Rx3uDPaXlsk[/video]

Its the diaphragm in the white expansion vessel vibrating when hot water is drawn off. Your G3 engineer will know how to rectify this.

How would you fix it then please?

Maybe a private pm might be better

I'm not yet G3 but hope to be soon

Its the diaphragm in the white expansion vessel vibrating when hot water is drawn off. Your G3 engineer will know how to rectify this.
Thanks so it's not something I can do myself?

Will the problem get worse if we leave it a while?

Any idea on what costs I can expect :snore:

Thanks

Thanks so it's not something I can do myself?

Will the problem get worse if we leave it a while?

Any idea on what costs I can expect :snore:

Thanks

You shouldn't be doing any work to it. The vessel is one of the safety parts. Just give all the details to a qualified G3 person, including photos and it might save you money as the plumber should be able to fix and service the unit while there. They are supposed to be checked and serviced once a year. It shouldn't be expensive, but get an estimate of cost first. I would think 2 hours labour maximum plus travel time hopefully and any parts on top of that.
They are dangerous if fitted badly or neglected.
Get the plumber to explain the sealed heating also. You need to keep the red vessel that is the heating (rads etc) also serviced and you can top up the pressure on it. The white vessel is different as it is part of unvented kit and has to be a G3 plumber to look at it.

Last edited:
You shouldn't be doing any work to it. The vessel is one of the safety parts. Just give all the details to a qualified G3 person, including photos and it might save you money as the plumber should be able to fix and service the unit while there. They are supposed to be checked and serviced once a year. It shouldn't be expensive, but get an estimate of cost first. I would think 2 hours labour maximum plus travel time hopefully and any parts on top of that.
They are dangerous if fitted badly or neglected.
Get the plumber to explain the sealed heating also. You need to keep the red vessel that is the heating (rads etc) also serviced and you can top up the pressure on it. The white vessel is different as it is part of unvented kit and has to be a G3 plumber to look at it.

Thanks I had British gas round on Monday to service the boiler

Guessed it in one ;) pretty common on these unvented units sometimes!

Would I still need it servicing after British gas?

Trying to find a G3 engineer in Leicester is tough!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Fog Horn Noise Hot Water in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock