Search the forum,

Discuss fog horn noise from cold water pipes into toilet after flushing in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi When I flush my toilet the cold water pipe feeding into the toilet has a very loud noise sounding like a fog horn which you can hear in other rooms an I can feel the pipe vibrating. It I push on the pipe slightly it stops but as soon as I let go it starts again. Anyone know what this might be?

This is my first house, I have no plumbing knowledge at all and don't know if I need to call a plumber or if its something that might be easy to fix. Im hoping its an easy one as the roof has also started leaking so could be an expensive month!

thanks for your help!!!!!

thanks! ill look into that. cheers for the quick reply, appreciate it.

If it is a ball valve type fill valve (plastic valve with ball float on end of long arm across width of cistern) then it would make a fog horn noise if on high pressure mains water and diaphragm washer is worn.
New diaphragm washer should sort it, or have the valve replaced with a fill valve (preferably with brass tail) more suitable for quiet fill on high pressure

If it is a ball valve type fill valve (plastic valve with ball float on end of long arm across width of cistern) then it would make a fog horn noise if on high pressure mains water and diaphragm washer is worn.
New diaphragm washer should sort it, or have the valve replaced with a fill valve (preferably with brass tail) more suitable for quiet fill on high pressure

Yes it is a plastic valve with a ball on a long arm. cheers!

When this happens in flats or old peoples blocks they all get shy about flushing the bog in the night cause the neighbours all know what they have been up to...its an easy fix but most probably a simple plumbers job
centralheatking

Struggle to get a plumber to turn up to things like this in my experience. Always seems to be some little niggle when I’m away and no ones interested in an easy few ££.

Reply to fog horn noise from cold water pipes into toilet after flushing in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock