Search the forum,

Discuss Flush constantly running and tank not filling in the DIY Plumbing Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Hello- I’m not sure what sort of cistern we have (photo attached) but the water is constantly running after flushing and it does not seem to fill. Am wondering whether this is a job I can fix myself as we are really trying to keep to social distancing at the moment. Obviously if we need to get a professional in then that’s what we’ll do but id appreciate any advice.

Attachments

• 68004AE5-784D-4C49-85E8-9826DC745115.jpeg
    68004AE5-784D-4C49-85E8-9826DC745115.jpeg
    65 KB · Views: 25
At this stage I`m thinking perhaps the fill valve isn`t closing and water is overflowing into the cistern.

Bottom of the picture, white dome float on white arm, does the water stop entering the cistern if you gently pull it upwards? If yes then hold it up and see if the water stops flowing into the pan after a few minutes.

At this stage I`m thinking perhaps the fill valve isn`t closing and water is overflowing into the cistern.

Bottom of the picture, white dome float on white arm, does the water stop entering the cistern if you gently pull it upwards? If yes then hold it up and see if the water stops flowing into the pan after a few minutes.

if I pull the white dome float up then the cistern starts to fill again and the water stops running when it reaches a level. If I don’t pull it up then the cistern remains fairly empty of water and it trickles constantly into the bowl?

I'm not a fan of the faulty valve you have so suggest that you change it to one from the Fluidmaster range.

Water gets into the wire on the cable to the flush. It then causes a build up of rust and prevents free moving, sometimes if you are lucky, you can put a silicone spray down the cable and free it up. Worth a try. 🤔

Thanks for all your help. Do you think the replacement is a job I can do myself? I’m ok with diy jobs - ish. We also have a leak where the sealant has gone from the pipe below the toilet basin - yuk!
Happy to give it a go if you think it’s a fairly easy job to replace the valve. Was going to buy the Viva Sanitary Skylo Dual Flush Valve?

Is your toilet a close coupled version? Cistern sitting on top of pan or can you see a pipe in between?

It will then depend how confident you are with your Diy, its something you can do yourself. You might need a few extra bits if the bolts underneath are rusty. Make sure your isolation valve works. Everything is clean and go for it. I don't know the valve that you have mentioned. You might have an issue reconnecting the plastic fill valve. Just gently as you go hand first, then nip up with spanner.

With some cc toilets you can change the inlet valve without separating the pan and cistern, you may be lucky. Give us a picture from underneath where the cold water pipe connects to the bottom of the fill valve.
If you haven't already bought the fill valve, it looks like only a few will fit in your cistern, the valve is very close to the cistern wall so you may be limited. I'd normally suggest a fluidmaster brass shank but I don't think it'll go in there without hitting the cistern wall.
Infact, looking at that I'd suggest repairing the valve you have with a new torbeck washer. They're about £3 and only takes a few minutes to fettle.

Reply to Flush constantly running and tank not filling in the DIY Plumbing Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock