Search the forum,

Discuss Flues in voids in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

CMairiD

Oh dear, seems Gas Safe & the HSE have been a bit busy over the last couple of days. New TBs released saying that after 31 Dec 12, flues in voids with no inspection hatches, that are otherwise working safely, become AR.

Yeah read that today, actually I was expecting it, I had a chat with my local Gas Safe inspector the other day about a property that was of concern and he mentioned there was something afoot

Hi everyone,
Could you please specify what do you mean by voids with no inspection hatches?
I know its a bit daft asking this question but hey knowledge is wealth 'o learned ones'!!!

Personally think its a good move. Found a section of flue made from duct tape and a fizzy drink bottle, hidden in a duct. Keston boiler. We all love those don't we!?

Shut three boilers down in the same block. All AR or ID.

Installing electric boilers in place of two as only way to run flues is not going to fly as of 2012...moving gas supply is out too. These little electric boilers are brilliant to be honest.

I found a balanced flue exiting into a shed today, a bit of roof had been removed to allow the poc o escape!, on id ing the boiler, the custard produced 3 service records for the last 3 years proving it was a safe boiler!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and the records were produced by a gas safe registered person, pity he wasnt registered to work on domestic boilers and the like, but he was registered to carry out fusion pipework according to gas safe!!!!!!!!!!!, still didnt stop him carrying out commercial and domestic work, installations and servicing,

i think its a good move,very difficult to inspect flues in voids i have done one on a platinum acsees panels on every joint sealed with Ellis board and intumescent silicone this was 5 years ago boiler was under the stairs flue works took 2 days but its safe i know everything can be readily inspected annually

Hi everyone,
Could you please specify what do you mean by voids with no inspection hatches?
I know its a bit daft asking this question but hey knowledge is wealth 'o learned ones'!!!

Only daft question is the one not asked! ;)

Sometimes boiler flues can be concealed in spaces such as walls, ceilings or behind purpose-made boxing-in (voids). Engineers need to be able to inspect flues to ensure they are safe (right material, fully connected, supported, etc ...). Unfortunately, there has been a trend of putting flues in void spaces and providing no method for the engineers to inspect the flues. Inspection hatches are similar to a hatch used to access the loft space, though probably not so big and with a catch as opposed to sliding off to the side.

Attachments

• ishot-1.jpg
    ishot-1.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 64
Hi first time on forum but does anyone know where you can buy purpose made inspection hatches or do you have to make something up. I thought I had seen some somewhere but cant find them now :sad:

Hi first time on forum but does anyone know where you can buy purpose made inspection hatches or do you have to make something up. I thought I had seen some somewhere but cant find them now :sad:
toolstation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Flues in voids in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Copper pipes, I think its fair to say, is not what it used to be, the copper is getting thin while the cost is going up. Meanwhile, plastic Pushfit seems to be getting better and better, cost and convenience was always better, but now the quality is to, have we reached a stage where plastic will...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock