Search the forum,

Discuss Flue too close to window above flue in the Gas Engineers Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Hello!

Hope you're all well. I've read guidance and searched the forums before posting this.....

Had our boiler serviced and had a risk notice put on it due to the flue being too close to an openable window. A flue installation fault was also found (sloping down wrong angle for condensing to occur).

We have been in the property a year. Had a pre purchase service done, before this year, and nothing found. Previous owner had it installed by BG 15 years ago in 2005 and serviced every year with them (no comment!).

It's a BG 330 (rebadged Gloworm).

I'm unsure if this recent finding over the flue distance was correct. I thought regs say min 300mm next to and/or if window above for a room sealed fan-based flue?

I'm aware that this has a plume kit, but that it would satisfy the 300mm clearance without it, and with it installed it's also that distance away.

Recent servicer said needed to be 1500mm below opening window. When asking the previous servicer to that for the pre-purchase inspection they said it should be 600mm below.

I've measured and it's 480mm below, straight up and down, and 580mm diagonally from edge of flue to nearest edge of window frame (see pic).

Can anyone give me a definite answer as these professionals seems to disagree, but regs are regs, right?PXL_20200914_130031604~4.jpg

300mm so your fine I would say

Attachments

• 7D24471F-9B45-4907-AE3D-5DCE4E312339.png
    7D24471F-9B45-4907-AE3D-5DCE4E312339.png
    281 KB · Views: 8
Personally I would be asking whoever placed it at risk for evidence of this in the manufacturers installation instructions, or if you have a copy (possibly an extract of what Shaun has posted) and confirm this yourself. Also the openable window looks higher? The measurement shown is 480/580 to a closed window?

AFAIK its only ncs not at risk - is there any products of combustion entering the window?

Personally I would be asking whoever placed it at risk for evidence of this in the manufacturers installation instructions, or if you have a copy (possibly an extract of what Shaun has posted) and confirm this yourself. Also the openable window looks higher? The measurement shown is 480/580 to a closed window?

AFAIK its only ncs not at risk - is there any products of combustion entering the window?

Thanks both. You're right the manufacturers instructions say 300mm so it's fine?!? No products seem to enter the window when it's open. I can see the point about to the edge of the window, I guess I measured for worst case in case it got replaced in the future with one that opened down there.

Not really sure what was going on to be honest, especially as 2 different engineers also said 2 different things about min measurements (1500mm and 600mm).

Screenshot_20200915-090818.png

as he says its from an openable window

Reply to Flue too close to window above flue in the Gas Engineers Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock