Search the forum,

Discuss Flue bracket regulations in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

I was always under the assumption manufacturers requirements overrule regs. This is only what I've been told though, probably the same as others. @firemant can you put a link to either prove your statement or disprove HF's?

I was always under the assumption manufacturers requirements overrule regs. This is only what I've been told though, probably the same as others. @firemant can you put a link to either prove your statement or disprove HF's?

HaHa. I was waiting for that, and I will. But I am not at home at the moment.

But, for now, a Regulation is exactly that.. And is part of Law. That is not to be confused with Standards, which are not. A manufacturer, or,indeed an engineer, can use a method not in the Standards - but may be called upon to explain why their methodology is as or more apt.

Realistically, does this scenario happen often? How many times has someone came across a situation where by the regs it was wrong, but right by the manufacturers instructions?
Surely manufacturers are required to produce their appliances so they fully comply with our regs and not just used as a guide?

I would say though that regarding the flue in this thread. The "standard" would be to clip at every change of direction and just before if leaves the roof. But if the manufacturers produced their flue so that when pieced together it was rigid, and they stated only 1 clip at the exit was needed, then this would be acceptable.

So basically what you are saying is that regs say 1.8m but if MIs state every meter or change of directions this can be ignored and 1.8m can be used?

Regs say 1.8m and at every turn of direction but I think we’re going a bit over the top about it. 1m would be fine because 1.8m is a maximum.

Regs say 1.8m and at every turn of direction but I think we’re going a bit over the top about it. 1m would be fine because 1.8m is a maximum.
So if MIs said every 1.2m you would ignore and use regs?

Last edited:
So basically what you are saying is that regs say 1.8m but if MIs state every meter or change of directions this can be ignored and 1.8m can be used?

No. You have to follow MIs, but they cannot over rule Regs. They can obviously demand higher specs, and of course you can work to higher standards.

But my point is that MIs are not superior to Regs, which is what folk keep saying.

No. You have to follow MIs, but they cannot over rule Regs. They can obviously demand higher specs, and of course you can work to higher standards.

But my point is that MIs are not superior to Regs, which is what folk keep saying.

so lets say

clipping distance

regs every 2m
mi every 1m

you would go off the regs then

Realistically, does this scenario happen often? How many times has someone came across a situation where by the regs it was wrong, but right by the manufacturers instructions?
Surely manufacturers are required to produce their appliances so they fully comply with our regs and not just used as a guide?

I would say though that regarding the flue in this thread. The "standard" would be to clip at every change of direction and just before if leaves the roof. But if the manufacturers produced their flue so that when pieced together it was rigid, and they stated only 1 clip at the exit was needed, then this would be acceptable.

quite a bit regs want flues screwed every joint for viessmann this is a big nono as it states in the mi do not screw the flue as with expansion the flues split

The flue runs up from the boiler into the attic. There are then two 45 degree elbows before the flue runs out to the rroof.The flue runs parallel from the boiler to the bit going out of the roof with an angled bit in-between. Where by regs should the brackets go and how many will be needed?

View attachment 37956
I would always put a clip at each join horizontal or vertical, deffo 3 for this one.

Weird, I have had our last boiler and loft flue fitted about 7 year ago. British Gas always check out our loft to check flue. This year I had safety note issued
(WRITTEN AND NOT VERBAL) that issue with flue supports. Not even given a quote by gas engineer who fixed our pilot light for hot water on hot air and hot water combination boiler. Forgot to mention 3rd engineer since I had out yearly boiler service January. Been without gas hot water since he left. Had 3 engineers since unsuccessful in fixing pilot light. Now May and young lad fixed. Something to do with pump. First time ever my flue been mentioned. Only noticed whilst checking paper work

Reply to Flue bracket regulations in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock