Search the forum,

Discuss Flow in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Bernie2

Another bit of info that might be helpful to new Plumbers are some observations about water FLOW.

In the UK, water fixtures usually have a minimum water flow rate that is required to be met for them to work properly.

Some of the most obvious are the combi boiler and the shower. Both of which usually have minimum flow rates for them to work.

A typical combi requires between 2-3 litres per minute before the burner will even operate. Obviously this can cause problems if you are using low flow equipment, you simply don’t require to draw off enough hot water for the burner to kick in.

That is why, before installing, site requirements have to be checked and met.

It’s roughly the same with a shower most of us seem to like a flow rate of about 6 litres per minute. But with low flow shower heads coming onto the market and the overall reduction of water use set to become part of the Building Regs, can we be sure we will always have the luxury of being able to have a 6 litre shower.

Funnily enough there is no upper flow limit for showers, while the US states 9.5 litres as the maximum.

Measuring the flow rates of a fixture is easy enough when it’s fitted and working, all you need is a measuring jug and a stopwatch. Then turn the tap on full and time the water coming out and how much of it there is. That gives you flow rate per minute, or second, or whatever time you want.

But lets be honest, it’s the flow rate you want to know before you pipe the fixture up not after it’s working, to ensure you meet the minimum requirements for the fixture.

Its pointless piping it up and then a day or so later an angry customer comes on the blower “I am not getting enough water coming out, it takes ages to fill.”

Fortunately we get away with this a lot, because most UK domestic water supplies both hot and cold now come off the water mains. And the main is a decent supply. Yet who has never had complaints of poor flow from a combi?

The minimum flow rate for most UK fixtures can be found in various places including BS 6700:2006.

But flow rates are expected to be tightened up, when and if the new guidelines given in Building Regs G 2009 requiring people to reduce water use to 125 litres per person per day come into use.

Its simple really, we have high mains pressure so high flow rates, and when we open a tap we usually loose more down the plughole than we use.

I suppose it may come down to imposing fines, or at least charging extra per litre for over use of water above 125 litres, using your water meter records as proof of excess.

Don’t forget petrol, was once thought dear when they sold it by the gallon, but looked a lot cheaper when they started to sell it by the litre. In reality of course it was all smoke and mirrors, it was just as dear by the litre as it was by the gallon.

So don’t forget once all water is on a meter, then they can charge you per litre, adjusting your use through price. It’s a nifty idea, you don’t have to ask people to turn taps off, just charge them more and they will probably turn them off without having to ask them.

So nobody is going to be to happy if their taps let 20% of their daily allowance go down the plughole, just because the flow rates where too high and they never left the plug in the bowl to catch the water.

Let’s be honest, we probably tend to rinse our hands under the running tap rather than fill the bowl and wash. That must use loads of water.

Anyway that is a bit of a taster about flow and how we will probably all have to become more aware of our water use in the future.

Some even say, that they may consider changing tap tails from 15mm to 8mm to help reduce the flow and of course downsizing our pipe sizes.

Now how do you know what size pipes to install to get the flows you want?

Well working a flow rate out by taking into account all the variables involved such as pressure, velocity, resistance, viscosity, rate of use, temperature and so on is quite involved but fortunately there are some easier ways.

I would recommend having a look at the “uk copperboard.co.uk” “Pipe sizing for hot and cold water Parts 1 and 2. It’s a good write up.

Also consider having a look at Tommy Box’s theory.

Okay so it might fry your brains a bit when your busy, that is why planning time should be included in your price.

Also there are plenty of charts and free software about that will do most of it for you.

The Charted Institute of Plumbing and Engineering put out a piece called Useful Info, which has a copy of Thomas Box formula on it.

Sorry I an unable to put equations on myself, I simply don’t know how to put them in a forum mail.
But anyway it’s better to get them from a place of some authority than say “a guy on the internet told me”. It’s just in case you need to provide proof of authenticity. And saying its from the recognised UK copper board, CIPE, Building Regs, British Standards or anywhere with recognised standards that people know, would seem better, and more professional than saying “off some bloke on the internet” as right or wrong as they may be in wanting to help. The Internet is good for first step info and giving pointers, but at some time you may need to state recognised sources especially if your getting sued for what somebody may regard as a cock up.

Lets be honest if you never did the gas tightness test after a gas repair, nobody is going to listen if you say

“Well Fred told me it would be okay, and he has been a gas engineer for 200 years!”

No! What would probably happen is that you would get hit over the head with the gas regs.

But if it said it was okay in the Gas Regs, and you could show them where it did, you could probably stand up as innocent or at least share the blame with the Gas Regs.

Anyway I feel sure the lads can add loads more than I can to this thread. So I will leave it there.:):):):)

Last edited by a moderator:
Brilliant post Bernie and thank you very much for the time and effort you've put into this. Best post I've read here and I will have another look when I've got more time - lots to learn for me!

The combi flow rates issue is something I've recently come across too.

Thank you again.

Bernie
Would I be right in deducing that you are an advocate of low water use,

Hi! Bob,

What I am trying to do is highlight where the industry and government seem to be moving water supply. :) :)

I could say that we have plenty of water and its the water companies being too tight to build more reservoirs. But it looks like the world is going to be facing water shortages all over the place soon.

We of course probably import more water indirectly in our imported food than we use directly. So its water shortages in other countries that may affect us more than those here.
:) :)

Any way why waste water?

What about all the waste water from burst pipes from water companys that lose so much

I understand the new Part G regs and welcome them as I get annoyed with energy wasters in general. Im always turning lights off and TVs off at the wall

But if we are being forced into this with these regulations are the water companies going to suffer heavy reulations to limit the leakages and speed up the detection and rectificvation processes they have and also the prevention methods they have

Nice post Bernie .. you are right .. the flow rates of all water using fixtures are being looked at carefully The "Market Transformation Programme" is doing this work ( try this link .. Product Strategies ) it is expected that the outcome will be an energy type rating for all fixtures and research have even been done to change the shape of baths to hold less water :rolleyes:

mind you the US and Aus have had these systems in place now for some time.

One downside emerging is that reduced flush wc's, 6 litres & less, are causing drainline carry issues .. meaning there is not enough water to carry the solids any great distance and the incidence of blockages is increasing as a result .. so invest in a drain cleaner guys.:D:D

Last edited by a moderator:
Bernie

Dont get me wrong, I love dry drains because they create more work for us,
but have you not yet been made aware of the Dry Drains issue,
Anyway this nonsence about wasting water is fallacy created by the powers that be allong the same lines as the co2 issue,
Any engineering type (as opposed to a pen pusher) will know in their hearts that you cant actually waste water,leaks in the ground simply return to the aquifer from whence it came and not into space as is inferred.

As for co2 from human endevours causing global warming, do you not know that in past the planet has been covered in trees from pole to pole with very little ice anywhere,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Flow in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
IS IT POSSIBLE TO ADJUST THIS MIXER UNIT? WE HAVE TO HAVE IT TURNED ALMOST FULLY ANTI CLOCKWISE TO GET HOT WATEROUT. THE FRONT PLATE WITH MIRA ON IT PRISES OFF AND INSIDE THERE ARE SOME PLASTIC BITS AND A SMALL CROSS-HEAD SCREW IN THE MIDDLE. THANKS
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock