Search the forum,

Discuss Flow Noise > Can't believe taps should be this noisy! in the Bathrooms, Showers and Wetrooms area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi. First time poster.

I've just had a new bathroom fitted in my loft and am having an issue with noisy taps - modern mono mixer. Not water hammer, but when they are half on they make a noise that I find unacceptable, yet my plumber insists this is just the way it is. However, my other taps are not doing this in the house.

Could it be the taps themselves and the fact this is too much pressure for them to handle when half opened?

I've tried throttling back by turning the isolator valve screw to limit the flow to the tail but this isn't really helping as when I turn it down to quieten the flow is just a mere trickle.

I have an unvented system and good pressure - around 5 bar I am told.

Here's a video of what I am experiencing - hope it conveys what is going on - particularly bad when in the middle and not fully open - but when it is fully open it splashes water so I do need a medium flow. Sounds most noisy down below in the unit when I open it up.

• Should I think about changing the taps (they are good quality from Victoria Plum and my plumber rates them)?
  • Should I get a pressure reduction valve - not really sure where that goes).
  • Are the tails too big (on my downstairs WC the tails are more narrow and they are perfectly silent)

Or is my plumber correct that this is normal (even though I feel this will wake my partner up in the next room who is a light sleeper).

Thanks - I got 2 days before the job is finished so would like a 'comeback' as this is an open snag on my list.

Dan

Last edited:
Yep noise is normal

What other taps do you have that don’t make any noise ?

Are they also 1/4 turn

100% it’s a standard noise as your restricting the flow hence why it’s louder at half open

Are they also 1/4 turn

100% it’s a standard noise as your restricting the flow hence why it’s louder at half open
My water pressure is around 5 bar and I've discovered the taps that came with the vanity unity are suitable for max 3 bar (even though it stated 'suitable for vented high-pressure systems). So I am changing to a 5bar compatible tap and we'll see...

Reply to Flow Noise > Can't believe taps should be this noisy! in the Bathrooms, Showers and Wetrooms area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock