Search the forum,

Discuss flow and return going into one valve? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

mutley racers

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Hey fellers, a client has given my number to friend who has sent me a picture of a radiator she wants moving and new one in. I see in the picture it has 2 pipes going into the same valve on one side of the rad. Is this just a normal flow and return from a 2 pipe system? And I can just run pipes to the other location and plumb in as usual?

When exactly was this method normal? It is amazing what different kinds of fittings and systems you keep across aint it.

Any way, I hope all you guys that are going to get snowed in tomorrow have a good day off. looks like it is just going to be a light dusting for me unfortunately

double entry valves are not uncommon, fitted when microbore was used alot. theres a tube that goes to the other side of the radiator to ensure good flow/heat up. This tube can offten be broken and cause the rad to not warm up very well. Best to replace with normal trv and lockshield.

Twin entry Radiator valve ABDTools - YouTube

explains it abit.

Upperplumbers_twin_entry_radiator_valve.jpg

Last edited:
Probably an old yorkshire dual valve if it is on 8mm but they did them in 10mm too. Danfoss did a similar trv and there are a few others.

YF_Main_1469_10.jpg
Commonly used in the70's and 80's although they continued to make them up until the late 2000's

oh yes, I think I remember learning about it in college yrs ago. Thanks AW. in the picture it looks like they're 15mm. Could that be the case? Or are they only for microbore

you answered it for me tamz. thanks. I have never worked on a system with microbore before but am thinking that they could be a hassle to fill after draining. Am i right in thinking this?

not normally that bad really imo, if you can find a drain point :)

You might be lucky as it was common to fit a pet cock on the other side of the rad on drops.

another thing to ask, can you just up the size of the pipework on microbore pipe? As in go from 10mm to 15mm for one rad? Or do I need to seek down the manifold and take supply off before it? I see some rads downstairs are 15mm supplies and others are 10mm. It is on a combi boiler so should be nice to fill back up, but as was said earlier, no draindown valve on system. And it looks like you cannot just isolate 1 rad to move as there is only 1 valve which stops the flow but does not close the return.

You can upsize to 15mm if you like. It won't make any difference.
Btw fit a drain valve to the rads you are altering or even better drill one out through the wall.

thanks fellers. Its an upstairs rad but when I drain down system i shall wack a drain off on one of the bottom rads. Under the cap hey, sneaky little blinder

cheers AW, i was thinking about that but I can only buy rolls of 8 or 10mm and am not really in need of much. so it will just end up being in the garage for ages.

Now I have said that, I will probably come across more microbore systems

Hi,
I also have one of these valves shown in a previous photo. My problem is that, when decorating i removed the rad from the wall leaving the injector tube still connected. My family "helped clean up" and binned the injector tube and I haven no way of getting it back. I have no idea for where to get a replacement and what diameter it needs to be, or even what I need to ask for at my local plumb centre.

Can anyone help me get the replacement i need. the rad is back on for the time being until i get the part.

Use a bit 8mm copper. If the rad is a double panel cut the end of the 8mm at 60Âş and it will go in. You only need 10-12" for it to work but longer is better.

You can still purchase these valves, but usually have to be ordered and are expensive :-(

Brilliant, thanks guys.

Snowhead: thanks for the link. I've ordered 70cm 8mm.

Thanks again.

my old collage tutor told me that you can cut a piece of 8mm and it will thread in itself because it is soft enough, true???????

Hi,

trying to to remove a radiator with combined flow and return valve. Have managed to bleed the radiator but having trouble removing it due to the pipe that runs the length of the radiator? Do I simply cut the tube to remove the rad? Don't want to cut it and then have a huge leak!!

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to flow and return going into one valve? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock