From the United States of America? - Checkout our specific plumbing forum for you:USA Plumbing Forum

Discuss Floor under shower tray with riser kit in the DIY Bathroom Remodelling Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

H

HuwT

Hello again

If I use a riser kit with a shower tray on a wooden floor would you still recommend replacing all the boards with 18mm ply?

I was going to use a low level Mira Flight tray but there's a joist in the way where the waste needs to go for this tray.

Also, if I put vinyl on the bathroom floor, the only place to have an access hatch for dealing with any leaks/maintenance in the future would be directly below in the kitchen ceiling - which has all just been replastered!

Hope that makes sense. All advice gratefully received!

B

Ben-gee

Esteemed
Plumber
If using a riser, no need to replace boards.

However.

Pay attention to where each leg will sit and the condition of the board at that point, do the legs sit directly over joists (good) or in the middle of a span or joint between two boards ( not so good).

Each situation is different, if in doubt overboard with 12mm ply and wind the legs in to compensate. If it’s just one or two legs then a plank/cls/what have you spanning onto two joists under the tray will help.

king of pipes

king of pipes

Esteemed
Plumber
Gas Engineer
As above providing the floor boards are in good condition and well fixed down you should be ok any legs in between joists you can add a square of ply to spread the weight. Kop

U

Undermanager

I was planning to do something similar as I need to use a riser kit, too. The floorboards are okay but old and slightly wonky in places in this 1920s house so I was going to screw down 12mm marine ply on the whole floor (2m x 2m bathroom). Then fix the risers and frame to the floor into the marine ply, offer up the tray and adjust as necessary to level, then finally fix the tray on the frame.

Does that sound about right, please?

Pickwickpick

Pickwickpick

Plumber
Gas Engineer
Agree with all the above. With regards to access hatch, instead of underneath make whatever you are going to clad the front of the raised section with detachable, you should be able to access the waste from there which is the only bit that might need accessing further down the line as long as you do all of the waste pipework in solvent weld not push fit or compression.

B

Ben-gee

Esteemed
Plumber
Worth noting, if it comes with a “twisto” self cleaning waste- bin it and buy an ordinary top access waste , if you don’t it is only a matter of time until you wish you had!

OP
H

HuwT

Thanks to all for previous replies and comments.
I've decided to replace the boards anyway as they are pretty splintered and broken. Bought a sheet of 18mm ply from the local Jewsons - only cost £15 + VAT for 1830 x 610. More than enough to go under 900 quadrant.

Reply to Floor under shower tray with riser kit in the DIY Bathroom Remodelling Advice area at PlumbersForums.net. Plumbing questions, answers, tips and tricks.

Most Viewed Threads