Search the forum,

Discuss Float valve replacement in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi

Had a quote from a plumber to replace two toilet float valves in a flat for £282. Had 2 questions:

1. Is this the right solution? It doesn't feel right to me.
2. Am I being overcharged?

The problem is noisy pipes within the flat. The noise happens when water is being used anywhere in the flat, and the building management's plumber said they suspected an air lock within the system. They requested that we find another private plumber to fix the issue by draining or releasing air.

A private plumber attended and reported "Investigated cylinder noise -
-found the toilet float valves are vibrating when water is running
, there are 2 toilet , not sure what one is causing it .
Will need to replace the washer in both"

Could this really fix the issue? I find it odd that the toilet float valves are causing noise in the water pipes when any water appliance throughout the flat is running. Also, is the price too steep? They are quoting £55 for parts and £180 for 2 hours labour (+VAT).

The toilet float valves and or cold water tank valve can cause water hammer noise yes, however to replace or even rewasher (you mention both) 2hours labour is excessive, as seems the price, imo. Also I found the noise is apparent when water is used anywhere, I doubt it’s these valves.

The toilet float valves and or cold water tank valve can cause water hammer noise yes, however to replace or even rewasher (you mention both) 2hours labour is excessive, as seems the price, imo. Also I found the noise is apparent when water is used anywhere, I doubt it’s these valves.
Thanks. Is it possible that the noise could be caused by air lock in the system? And to replace the toilet valves, is 1 hour more realistic?

To change both could be over an hour, I wouldn't have much of a problem with 2h especially if first callout was a free quote or they're concealed cisterns.
A rate of £90 + vat for BOTH hours, id have a problem with!

Any pictures of said toilets ?

Difficult to comment on the price without knowing your location and how far your flat is from free parking.

The time taken will depend on the WCs in question. Some are much easier than others to work on.

If just replacing washers, €55 is far too expensive for parts.

Why can't your plumber isolate the water supply to one WC at a time and identify the fault?

1. Is this the right solution? It doesn't feel right to me.
2. Am I being overcharged?
If you're not happy with the quote get another one.

At the risk of stating the obvious, there is no 'right price' for such work, it'll cost whatever the buyer is willing to pay and the plumber is willing to accept.

Reply to Float valve replacement in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock