Search the forum,

Discuss Flexible hose slight kink - will this be ok? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

] Hi all,

Just wanted to ask people’s opinions on this flexi hose and if they think it will cause any problems. Have heard about kinks having devastating effects. First picture is after install and second close up picture is after loosening the nut and repositioning/tightening. Does this look ok?

Many thanks

119547A5-E53C-4E96-932A-3C291446F96F.jpeg

49922434-ACB2-41B9-894E-4A42D01FDDFA.jpeg

It's not supposed to have that much bend but it'll work, if you're worried why not pick up a longer one next time you're out?

You can obviously make a compression joint, why not put a little longer copper and then a comp elbow then a little more straight then your 500 flexi shown. Would ease the bend on the flexi

I know it's only a cloakroom, but couldn't whoever have done it had a bit of pride and move the cold supply so that it doesn't stick out like a pigs ar$e?

I think I would be more worried about the connection on to the valve , that may be tighter .

I’d also want to sort out the basin waste which appears to go uphill from the corner to the lavatory. You will get a build up of soap/scum in that corner.

You can obviously make a compression joint, why not put a little longer copper and then a comp elbow then a little more straight then your 500 flexi shown. Would ease the bend on the flexi

Perfect response and will def deliver best longevity.

One point for people I'd like to share but you all prob know.

With regard to flexis, we all know they all eventually burst. I have discovered a rule of thumb is running your hand over the OUTSIDE of the braiding will indicate whether it is on its way out.

If you feel ANY hairs from the braid - change it. What happens for those stray hairs of braid to appear, is that the internal hose is breaking down and expanding (bulging). This 'pops' a braid or two in the locale of the faulty hose, i.e. where it is beginning to bulge. Change it when that happens, and you'll rarely have a catastrophic failure.;)

Just don’t install flexis and then you have no parts on your pipework to replace.

I notice the flexis from the basin tap are tightened straight onto iso valves.
Hope the valves have flat face, but probably won’t be filed

Just don’t install flexis and then you have no parts on your pipework to replace.

Hope the valves have flat face, but probably won’t be filed

I get your point Best. However the world is a far from perfect place. So, rather than try to rail against the tide, it often helps simply to keep people abreast of what happens, and of course why, in order to present them with the ability to make 'informed choices'.

Without being rude, trying to file a flat on an end designed to take an olive is actually MORE likely to lead to a leak than simply fitting against the machined end.

Why?

Firstly, the filed end lacks the hard chrome plating of the original part which makes it more susceptible to both dezincification and flaking of the chrome plate at the boundary because of turbulence.

Secondly, the nitrile rubber used will often tear badly, or at very least set up micro tears, when set against a filed surface. Both of these will cause it to fail far more quickly.

Whilst the best option is always to fit a 1/2" male iron fitting so you can tighten properly and guarantee a seal, using the limited smooth surface of a fitting designed for an olive will seal just fine so long as the seal is compressed no more than 20% of its thickness. Obviously the pressure that joint will be able to withstand is FAR less than the hoses rating, but for a 'normal' domestic situation (reasonably stable 3-5bar) it 'should' be fine. Any more compression or any more pressure or any large pressure fluctuations and it will fail. ;)

I get your point Best. However the world is a far from perfect place. So, rather than try to rail against the tide, it often helps simply to keep people abreast of what happens, and of course why, in order to present them with the ability to make 'informed choices'.

Without being rude, trying to file a flat on an end designed to take an olive is actually MORE likely to lead to a leak than simply fitting against the machined end.

Why?

Firstly, the filed end lacks the hard chrome plating of the original part which makes it more susceptible to both dezincification and flaking of the chrome plate at the boundary because of turbulence.

Secondly, the nitrile rubber used will often tear badly, or at very least set up micro tears, when set against a filed surface. Both of these will cause it to fail far more quickly.

Whilst the best option is always to fit a 1/2" male iron fitting so you can tighten properly and guarantee a seal, using the limited smooth surface of a fitting designed for an olive will seal just fine so long as the seal is compressed no more than 20% of its thickness. Obviously the pressure that joint will be able to withstand is FAR less than the hoses rating, but for a 'normal' domestic situation (reasonably stable 3-5bar) it 'should' be fine. Any more compression or any more pressure or any large pressure fluctuations and it will fail. ;)

Dave, I wasn’t advocating to file isolating valves for flat washer flexis to tighten to.
I just was pointing out flexi to iso connection not ideal and probably still has sharp edge designed for olive, not filed.
I only use male iron fittings.
Personally I wouldn’t waste my time using a file when carrying a few male iron fittings is all required to do it right.

Just really was being critical of any minor faults I could see.

Dave, I wasn’t advocating to file isolating valves for flat washer flexis to tighten to.
I just was pointing out flexi to iso connection not ideal and probably still has sharp edge designed for olive, not filed.
I only use male iron fittings.
Personally I wouldn’t waste my time using a file when carrying a few male iron fittings is all required to do it right.

Just really was being critical of any minor faults I could see.

Oh boy... Note to self. Turn on gas oven & stick head in asap :rolleyes:

I got told on here that rad tails are not approved for potable water.

Now there's a can of worms ...

In a recent conversation with a person in a position to know these things, they estimated that just 10% of plumbing parts that should be WRAS approved are. Considering many of those parts are bare high lead content brass, a chromed tail would actually be far less contaminating.

Oh of course we then have the boring fact that NO metals are tested for contamination in UK WRAS approvals for plumbing fittings anyway. No, this isn't Europe's fault either.

Now there's a can of worms .

In a recent conversation with a person in a position to know these things, they estimated that just 10% of plumbing parts that should be WRAS approved are. Considering many of those parts are bare high lead content brass, a chromed tail would actually be far less contaminating.

Oh of course we then have the boring fact that NO metals are tested for contamination in UK WRAS approvals for plumbing fittings anyway. No, this isn't Europe's fault either.

So basically - if a fitting is approved, it isn’t actually tested? o_O
Must admit I like the spare rad tails as a free and neat way of joining to flexis

So basically - if a fitting is approved, it isn’t actually tested? o_O
Must admit I like the spare rad tails as a free and neat way of joining to flexis

No not quite. 'Tested' can mean different things.
For example, with our cartridges it is the non-metalic elements that are tested along with elements of its mechanical performance.
What is NOT tested is its fitness for purpose. So, for a flexi for example, its longevity or suitability is not specifically tested. Strictly speaking so long as a product lasts as long as it's tested for then its fine.

So far as I understand, theoretically you could make a hose out of plaited spaghetti and as long it didn't leak (so cause wasted water) or contaminate the water supply it could be deemed WRAS approved. The fact that it might become bloody useless pretty quickly is not in the WRAS remit to check - they might just say this case could be concluded to waste water ultimately!

Rad tails are, in my experience, an expensive version of 1/2" male iron :eek:

Reply to Flexible hose slight kink - will this be ok? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock