Search the forum,

Discuss Flexi Hoses in walls in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

We have just become aware of Flexi Hoses fitted in walls of our Apartment Block.
The hoses supply shower mixer taps.

One of our owners, a retired builder said that it is illegal. Plumbers who came to repair leaking pipes also confirmed that using Flexi Hoses in an enclosed wall space is illegal.

Plumbers had to cut through plasterboard to access the hoses for replacement. Very tight squeezy job but they managed to extract the mixer tap and hoses, fit a new mixer and connect to copper supply pipe using PEX pipe.

What is our best course of action?
Try to locate the plumber responsible for original fitting?
Try to locate the building certifier?

Or just suck it up and replace the illegal hoses. Possibly cost $1500 per apartment.

Apartments are 20 years old.

The hoses that were replaced are the first to start leaking.

All other Flexi Hoses such as those below sinks in kitchen and bathrooms and supply to toilet cisterns have been replaced.

Regards,

Alsubs

Good luck finding the contractors responsible after 20yrs but I dont think I'd waste too much time on it. IF they're still going you could send them a "polite" letter from your solicitor (acting collectively) telling them what they've done and what you intend to do if they don't remedy the illegal work. If they blow you off be ready to have the work done and then sue them for the cost. Chances of you nailing the certifier/inspector after all this time is I think an even remoter one but I (we) are not sure how the building inspectorate work out in Oz.

As of a couple of years ago, flexi's older than 10 years, will not be covered under insurance.
So set up a program to replace all flexi's older than 10 years.

As for you installation - no matter which State - I doubt whether you will be able to hold the Plumber Liable.
I can remember - just - that some shower & bath mixers were supplied with flexible connectors to be installed behind finished walls.

It may be worth getting the brand of the mixer and seeing if they were supplied with the flexi's.
I doubt it would do much after the period of time, but you may have some recourse towards the manufacturer if they instructed the Plumber to install the product with flexi's.

Which State are you in?

As of a couple of years ago, flexi's older than 10 years, will not be covered under insurance.
So set up a program to replace all flexi's older than 10 years.

As for you installation - no matter which State - I doubt whether you will be able to hold the Plumber Liable.
I can remember - just - that some shower & bath mixers were supplied with flexible connectors to be installed behind finished walls.

It may be worth getting the brand of the mixer and seeing if they were supplied with the flexi's.
I doubt it would do much after the period of time, but you may have some recourse towards the manufacturer if they instructed the Plumber to install the product with flexi's.

Which State are you in?

I am in Queensland.
The mixers are all Hansa brand.
From what we have discovered so far, approx half of the building has mixers fitted correctly with copper and half fitted using flexi hoses.

We have been pro actively replacing all flexi hoses to reduce the chance of failure. But that is flexi hoses that are visible and accessible such as below sinks and basins. To access these problem flexi hoses on the shower mixers we will have to cut large holes on the plasterboard wall.

Regards,
Alsubs

You should be able to get a camera into the wall by removing the cover plate.
You can get cameras that can fit through a 10mm hole so there should be no problems getting the camera for your needs. It doesn't have to be a expensive camera, just a handheld one with a flexible tube

Thanks for replies and suggestions.
We had a Plumber here yesterday, using a 10mm camera device.
Drilled a couple of holes in discrete locations to verify existence of flexi hoses.
Unfortunately, three locations did have flexi hoses attached to mixer taps on showers and bath.

The hoses supplying showers can be replaced by cutting access through plasterboard, however the bath mixer tap is more difficult as the mixer is mounted on a granite bench fascia.

Incidentally the Plumber had just been to an emergency callout at a house, the problem was a burst or leaking flexi hose fitted inside a wall.

Regards,

Alsubs

Reply to Flexi Hoses in walls in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock