Search the forum,

Discuss Fix for poorly installed shower control or good replacement in the Bathrooms, Showers and Wetrooms area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi
Many years ago a builder installed my Gainsborough ambassador shower

unfortunately it was installed too far into the wall, maybe 2-3mm, consequently the temperature control arm found on the chrome shroud and makes changing the temperature difficult, also the flow control knob doesn’t ‘latch’ onto the cartridge spigot, I have fitted very small washers behind the flow control knob screws, this helps bring the flow control knob out and eases the fouling on the chrome shroud, but makes it even more difficult to get the flow control knob to ‘ latch’.....not easy to find a balance...ideally the cartridge shroud needs to be moved forward 2.3mm, but as it is hard piped in the wall, not sure if this would be too much work. I do have spare tiles, so can afford to remove 2 or 3.....the other alternative, as this situation has been going on for many years. Is to buy a different shower mixer, seen a few on Amazon, which although not thermostatic ( would be ideal ) look like they would cover the existing hole ( it’s not the size of the shroud, but approx 3” diameter ) the existing feeds to the housing are, hot water fed from the back, cold from the bottom and mixed water out of the left. Obviously would like a replace the mixer to approximately accommodate the existing connections, or at least with the minimum disruption.....any thoughts or fixing what I have or a replacement would be appreciated.

incidentally, I thought the idea of a thermostatic mixer, would be to set the desired temperature & it would adjust as the hot water cylinder became cooler, but the one I have has to be adjusted manually.....I asked Gainsborough why this is, they told me “it is thermostatic but will require adjusting as the hot water temperature falls” didn’t & still doesn’t make any sense to me. So although I would prefer a thermostatic mixer, if they are all like the one I have, I might as well just get a mixer
The first two photos show my existing shower & the spigot end of the cartridge

BE1E0F93-DB2A-4DD1-8FA2-126CCFE3FD97.jpeg
8967F41E-437E-4F5B-AFEE-C369D4899157.jpeg

thanks

These are some ideas I found on Amazon E821218D-2AF3-4820-9AF4-FEC933BEB620.jpegF6D121B3-3DA7-40A1-8461-87CD90734032.jpeg3374C6CF-E6CE-40F8-944B-CA11B2B1F9B0.jpeg

Attachments

• E8C805A2-E555-415F-B751-36F061C53BA6.jpeg
    E8C805A2-E555-415F-B751-36F061C53BA6.jpeg
    9.7 KB · Views: 3

Reply to Fix for poorly installed shower control or good replacement in the Bathrooms, Showers and Wetrooms area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi All I have a leak coming from within my Mira Elite QT shower. It seems to be flowing from behind the switching Control. Any ideas what could be causing this leak. Already Changed the Pump Elbow as one of the clips had popped which was causing a second small leak, Any idea? Is it time to buy...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new brackets, dismantle that existing one and start again or I could try and re attach via those screws, removing the broken ones from the plate and wall...
Replies
Views
I want to reconnect some outbuildings to an existing water supply. The supply pipe is old 22mm MDPE and buried for a fair distance so not going to dig it up and replace it 😬. Question is can I use normal 22mm plumbing push-fit connectors to make the connection as finding 22mm MDPE fittings...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock