Search the forum,

Discuss Fitting Thermostatic Rad Valves in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

dbharrison

I am intending to fit Thermostatic Rad valves to all my radiators. I have heard that it is important to leave one radiator without a TRV but do not really understand why this is necessary. Also my current system does not have TRV's and uses a single room thermostat mounted in the hall. When TRV's are fitted, the pump will run when the hall temperature is below the setting of the room thermostat but if the hall TRV is on a low setting the pump will run continuously, as the hall radiator will be off.
What is the correct way to resolve this?

you don't fit trvs in the same room as a room stat, they play against each other.
when one rad is left without a trv that rad is used as a bypass. in your case the hall rad.

most boilers have a bypass fitted to them now days. and if yours is an old system boiler does it have a pump over run ?
and is it a y plan or s plan

you shouldnt use a rad as a bypass, you must hve a regulating auto by-pass. doddle to fit, just link between flow and return

it's not a regulation you must fit a auto by pass, it is still acceptable to use a gate valve as a bypass by many boiler manufactors.
and im talking when systems where back boilers and gravity long before auto bypass were being fitted. and as many still have gate valves fitted, and theres no regulation to state they must be changed.

it is contained in the best practice guide for domestic heating installations. its all to do with energy efficiency. if you are sending heating water round a rad when that romm does not request heating it is a waste. if you use a gate valve(usaually a lock shield in my experience!) then in high demand the boiler is heating water then wasting it round a small loop therefore an auto by-pass will be closed in such cases and not waste water.
boiler manufacturers are interested in making the system and boiler safe and therefore any by pass will do for them

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Fitting Thermostatic Rad Valves in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I have a home with an oil boiler in a garage turned into a flat, heating both flat and main house, running c plan with two pumps, two motorised valves simple bi-metal thermostat on wall in flat with 4 standard TRV's rarely used so not worried about the flat, and main house has Nest Gen 3 in the...
Replies
Views
Jaga radiators (with heat-exchangers) have their own small fans, that "will modulate down when the room temperature is met – the room temperature is measured by a sensor at the base of the radiator", says Jaga. How does this coordinate with a standard room-thermostat, which of course shuts off...
Replies
Views
Hoping somebody can help, So, in a nutshell… Standard 90s Westbury home – condensing boiler, pump, wall thermostat, etc etc... Normal, common or garden, run-of-the-mill British housing estate CH setup. Downstairs radiator, 1 of 2 in our living room, went cold one evening mid-November last...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Central Heating Pump - G Pump Force HE-RS25/6PWM-130 Hi, I would be grateful if someone could explain whether our CH system can cope with the AUTO (adaptive mode) setting on this the new pump or which mode it is best set at (recently had our old 3-speed pump replaced with the above smart...
Replies
Views
Hi All, Looking for a bit of advice on the best way to pipe this. - 24kW Worcester regular boiler in kitchen, approx. 9 years old - unvented tank, zone vavles, pump, expansion is on first floor in airing cupboard - Currently piped as S-plan. - Hive controls. - Would like to fit 6-zone...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock