Search the forum,

Discuss Fitting new flush unit in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

I need to change the flush unit in the toilet cistern. Unfortunately the gap between the top of the cistern and the shelf above is not wide enough to get the new unit in. How would you approach this? I guess it’s either removing the shelf (not sure how easy that will be) or do I take out panelling behind the toilet and in front of the cistern etc and hope I can then remove the cistern so I can fit the new flush unit in it (a lot of work). I attach a photo. Many thanks
9608933E-C857-46AA-9553-2F5631871DF9.jpeg

Can you get the old one out ?

Looks like it’s been tiled down on top of worktop- if so then yes you’ll have to remove the panel behind the pan.
Sometimes you can do this and change the whole cistern without removing the pan - depends how it was put in.
Pan out etc sounds a lot worse than it actually is - normally expect that job 1 - 3 hrs depending.

Can you get the old one out ?
No, not as it is. Something will have to be dismantled.
[automerge]1593098028[/automerge]
Looks like it’s been tiled down on top of worktop- if so then yes you’ll have to remove the panel behind the pan.
Sometimes you can do this and change the whole cistern without removing the pan - depends how it was put in.
Pan out etc sounds a lot worse than it actually is - normally expect that job 1 - 3 hrs depending.
The worktop is like a melamine type top, so not tiled. Can’t see any fixings under it, so wondering if it’s just held in with the mastic round the edges.

Just putting a new flush valve in, it’s not sealing properly so water continues to flow into toilet pan. I know it’s just a twist out unit, and replace, so easy in theory. Just hassle getting to it!

I know you said you can’t get the old one out, but have you tried to twist it, then lift it as high as possible, and turn 90 degrees?

If it is just the washer (it is sometimes the seat in the base that's dirty or cracked) you may be able to unlatch and turn it upside down and replace just the washer whilst it's still in the cistern

I know you said you can’t get the old one out, but have you tried to twist it, then lift it as high as possible, and turn 90 degrees?
Yes, there is not enough room between top of cistern side and the shelf above it. I could actually twist the flush valve off, but not enough room to get it out the cistern or get the new one in.

You could cut away a section of the cistern as long as you leave an inch above the overflow height.
iI have done this before, use a 12” hacksaw blade, removed from its frame.

This is a cable flush and as you know water will rust the cable. I have lubricate the cable before now, even though you can't take the valve out you could possibly move it to one side, use an old tooth brush and clean the seating of the valve. You might be able to tip the valve and put a new washer on the bottom too. The cable is replaceable but I doubt you will be able to access that area, but who knows.

This is a cable flush and as you know water will rust the cable. I have lubricate the cable before now, even though you can't take the valve out you could possibly move it to one side, use an old tooth brush and clean the seating of the valve. You might be able to tip the valve and put a new washer on the bottom too. The cable is replaceable but I doubt you will be able to access that area, but who knows.
Thanks for this advice, investigated today, it was the spring at the cable end, it had rusted and broken (what a stupid design). Managed to get valve on side and unclip and replace cable. All seems well now.
[automerge]1593285482[/automerge]
If it is just the washer (it is sometimes the seat in the base that's dirty or cracked) you may be able to unlatch and turn it upside down and replace just the washer whilst it's still in the cistern
Thanks for this advice, investigated today, it was the spring at the cable end, it had rusted and broken (what a stupid design). Managed to get valve on side and unclip and replace cable. All seems well now.
Source URL: Fitting new flush unit - https://www.plumbersforums.net/threads/fitting-new-flush-unit.117449/
[automerge]1593285546[/automerge]

Reply to Fitting new flush unit in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new brackets, dismantle that existing one and start again or I could try and re attach via those screws, removing the broken ones from the plate and wall...
Replies
Views
Hi, I have an old steel water mains pipe (approx 45mm) that I need to connect to a new pehd water mains (25mm). I can't get at it to create a new thread so what's the best way of connecting the two? Cheers, Peter
Replies
Views
We have 2 brand new cordless, battery powered press tools in stock, and flying off the shelves. Our TekTools TZ1930 & TZ1550 are packed with advanced features - these cordless press tools are engineered for speed, precision, and ease of use across various applications. Just reply to this thread...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock