Search the forum,

Discuss Fitting a Timeguard thermostat to a boiler with a timer - HELP! in the Ireland area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi, apologies if this is a stupid question but I'm a little lost at the moment.

Complete amateur when it comes to plumbing (although I have replaced radiators and valves etc.), but we recently had our bathroom refurbed. Our boiler is in the bathroom cupboard which, pre-work, had a British Gas UP1 boiler controller. The thermostat was in the hallway and worked fine.

Since the work has been completed, the UP1 controller remains but the dial thermostat in the hallway has now gone (we also had the house re-wired) and in its place is a Timeguard 7-day programmable thermostat. The receiver has been installed next to the boiler.

Now, despite my best efforts, it's impossible for me to sync the Timeguard with the boiler without switching the UP1 controller on. In a nutshell, I've resorted to using the UP1 controller instead as it simply doesn't work without the timings or on/off from the UP1 controller.

I'm no longer on speaking terms with the contractor and would appreciate any help or advice in resolving this issue. Basically, do I need to disconnect the UP1 controller and simply use the new Timeguard thermostat, or do I need to rip them both out and install a brand new thermostat?

Any help would be a godsend!

he's taken a short cut with the wiring my guess is he had no idea so just tried to emulate what was already in use. . Keep in mind that at best he has an NVQ 3. You always change your communication approach to children, no different with a low level NVQ's

Thanks all - I've attached a photo showing the layout - the original timer/controller is on the right and the wireless receiver on the left.

@Murdoch - I've left the timer on continuous for heat but the thermostat then has no bearing on it whatsoever.

Do I need to get someone in to disconnect the original controller and leave the wireless thermostat as the main unit?
PXL_20201203_071152587.jpg

Thanks all - I've attached a photo showing the layout - the original timer/controller is on the right and the wireless receiver on the left.

@Murdoch - I've left the timer on continuous for heat but the thermostat then has no bearing on it whatsoever.

Do I need to get someone in to disconnect the original controller and leave the wireless thermostat as the main unit?View attachment 46542

tbh I don’t know what to suggest other than getting somebody competent to look and sort out.

who added the Wii room stat?

So looking at this, you have 2 devices connected and in effect, operating in parallel. Which device has priority over the other? Disconnect the original device and wires....then let me know what happens to the operation. My boiler accepts 2 separate device controller inputs onto the PCB but this boiler won't
[automerge]1607072402[/automerge]
tbh I don’t know what to suggest other than getting somebody competent to look and sort out.

who added the Wii room stat?
He did have a qualified certified gas engineer who is a competent person install it...see how that turned out LOL

Reply to Fitting a Timeguard thermostat to a boiler with a timer - HELP! in the Ireland area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Copper pipes, I think its fair to say, is not what it used to be, the copper is getting thin while the cost is going up. Meanwhile, plastic Pushfit seems to be getting better and better, cost and convenience was always better, but now the quality is to, have we reached a stage where plastic will...
Replies
Views
The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new brackets, dismantle that existing one and start again or I could try and re attach via those screws, removing the broken ones from the plate and wall...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock