Discuss Fitting a small undersink water heater in the DIY Bathroom Remodelling Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Reaction score
Hello Everyone

I will be fitting a vanity unit into a downstairs shower room, there is only a cold water pipe and I need to fit an undersink water heater for the hot water.

The vanity unit will be occasional use, and I need to fit it within the vanity unit as the client does not want to see any pipework or the unit. So it needs to be small and I think a vented unit as there will be no room for an expansion vessel etc. I was looking at a Hyco Handyflow Undersink unit

Handyflow Undersink | HYCO Manufacturing

with a 5 litre capacity . It is a vented unit and comes with its own tap, seems ideal.

Does anyone have any other ideas?

With this unit you need to use their tap but the clients would really want a different tap which would not work with this unit as it needs to be vented.

Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated. I have also looked at the Ariston water heaters, see below, which I guess would work with an ordinary tap?

Aures Slim Multi - Electric Water Heaters - Ariston Thermo

Many thanks

Paul

Corgi Direct - PlumbersForums.net Sponsor
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members

Ben-gee

Plumber
Reaction score
Just use a little unvented undersink, you can use any tap.
You don’t need an expansion vessel if you do the pipework to accommodate the expansion - you will however of course need a pressure relief valve and discharge from this.
Read the manual, I have done this in the past by having a loop of speedfit of appropriate length tucked away behind the unit.
Don’t ask them if they’d like an omelette, they probably wouldn’t want you to break any eggs!

WC1

Reaction score
Edit
Sorry , I meant you may need a g3 ticket for any invented cylinder. Instant , non storage as you had originally is good

Last edited:
OP
P
Reaction score
Edit
Sorry , I meant you may need a g3 ticket for any invented cylinder. Instant , non storage as you had originally is good
Thanks, yes I have a G3 ticket, but I have little room to work with so just want a basic vented undersink tap

WC1

Reaction score
In a very small, (micro) kitchen - John strand stuff, I have once run a snake of 22mm copper at the side of a kitchen cupboard with streets and elbows to accommodate expansion. from memory it was 1.4 metres as per mi's . Bit of a faff but got it done within regs and mi's.

OP
P
Reaction score
In a very small, (micro) kitchen - John strand stuff, I have once run a snake of 22mm copper at the side of a kitchen cupboard with streets and elbows to accommodate expansion. from memory it was 1.4 metres as per mi's . Bit of a faff but got it done within regs and mi's.
Thanks for the update. Looks like a good idea and then they could use there own tap

Ben-gee

Plumber
Reaction score
pretty sure i just said all that!

and you don't need g3 for those little ones.

WC1

Reaction score
Hi Ben, I wouldn't go for plastic near any heater, on the hot or cold side. I believe you do need g3 even for little ones. There's a thread somewhere.

ShaunCorbs

S. Mod
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Reaction score
you do need to be g3 registered

Ben-gee

Plumber
Reaction score
ah ok my mistake, i thought it was not required up to 10litres - I must have that wrong or maybe it's changed within living memory.
I s'pose I need to get my G3 ticket in that case, then I can graduate to the bigger ones too. Lots of people want them these days, including me at home in near(ish) future...

ShaunCorbs

S. Mod
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Reaction score
Pretty sure it is 10 or 15 L without unvented ticket
Nope need qualification only difference you don’t need to register install with bc

rpm

Plumber
Reaction score
Does that apply to the likes of these hot taps?

ShaunCorbs

S. Mod
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Reaction score
Yes

ShaunCorbs

S. Mod
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Reaction score
Is there any documentation for this, only my company thinks the same as did I that you don’t need to be G3 registered? I asked local bc and iirc even they said no?
In the bc g3 document online

ShaunCorbs

S. Mod
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Reaction score
2010 is the year I think

B

Burger

2010 is the year I think
Ah,makes sense, I asked bc many years ago. However cba looking now, but I’ll have a proper read tomorrow. I’ve just skimmed over it and can’t see anything, just a small paragraph on unvented heaters of 15L or less will generally satisfy g3(3).

Plumbing Advice - Find Plumbers Jobs
uHeat Forum Sponsor - PlumbersForums.net
Plumbase - PlumbersForums.net Sponsor
Corgi Direct - Plumbers Forums Sponsor
Power Shower Booster - Official PlumbersForums.net Sponsor
Test4Less PlumbersForums.net Sponsor
Wetroom Store - PlumbersForums.net Sponsor

Latest Plumbing Advice

Top Bottom