Search the forum,

Discuss Fitting a bath into a 1630mm opening in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

TerryWaite

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Hi all

I am soon to replace a bath in a 1630mm opening. I don't know if the current bath has been chased into one wall, I just measured the opening, I think it's just an odd-sized old bath.

Basically, I am going to get a 1600mm bath and make good the gap at the end somehow.

My questions are:

1) would you get a 1700 panel and cut it down or a 1600 and make good?

2) what would you use to make good the gap at the end and seal it and make it look nice.

Regards

I would probably get a 1700 plain panel so don't have to keep a pattern/effect balanced then box end with pressure treated timer off it of aquapanel then tile and silicone

you could use a plastic trim, like the ones used by window fitters.

is the existing one steel?

you could if your tiling/aqua paneling the walls just stud one side 20-30mm.

Last edited:
Oh, the existing tiles are staying, so can't bring the wall out, will standard untreated timber not do? Or will it expand and tend to lift the plastic strip/ tiles?

Thanks guys.

Also I have started battening around the underside of the top of the bath for extra support, does this need to be treated timber too?

Think I used 20mm battern last time.

Is that what you guys use?

some steel baths were made just over 1600 from memory, with any luck it wont be in the wall and it will come out easy enough.

can you not cut 35mm each side then it will fit in no need to disturb the walls

Don't think you need to use treated timber for the battens, if you really wanted to you could run some sealer over them once on the walls, wouldn't recommend cutting the return lips off the bath at the ends as these add strength and you wouldn't want the bath flexing too much where you need to silicone against the tiles ! packing out and using plastic window trim is a great way to get around this situation and I've done it several times with no probs

you could use a plastic trim, like the ones used by window fitters.

is the existing one steel?

you could if your tiling/aqua paneling the walls just stud one side 20-30mm.

Thanks AWheating, I fitted the bath, used 45mm window trim on the end, it looks the mutts nuts, custard is delighted!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Fitting a bath into a 1630mm opening in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock