Search the forum,

Discuss Fit wall-hung toilet to inside stud wall? in the DIY Plumbing Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Hello all,

We have a small bathroom, which currently has the toilet on the outside wall, and the sink on the inside wall. What are the chances/challenges of switching this round, i.e., fitting the toilet to the inside wall?

Here's what I mean:
section.png

So toilet would be hung from the stud wall, with the cistern placed inside the stud wall. The soil pipe would then run in the floor. Two obvious challenges/questions (to my non-plumber mind):

1. Would it actually be possible to fit the toilet securely to the stud wall? We'd really like to have a wall-hung toilet, but I appreciate that it may not have enough support. In that case we could perhaps go for a floor-supported toilet, but still have the cistern in the wall?

2. Is the space between bathroom floor and kitchen ceiling tall enough to have the required inclination on the drain? I haven't got the measurements for the current depth, but I'm hoping that somebody could advise on the minimum space required. You can see that the floor supports run left to right.

Any thoughts / ideas / advice? I would accept "You must be mad" or "Don't do it" as valid answers too :)

Here's some more pictures:

(1) Inside wall on the left, outside wall on the right (you can see some of the pipes for the sink on the left, and the connector for the old toilet on the right). We'd want to hang the toilet on the left, and then run the soil pipe inside the floor. The floor boards obviously needs to come up and be replaced by ply / tiles. The beams run left-to-right, so the soil pipe would not cross those.

4.jpg

(2)

Some pictures of the wall. The pipes you see running up are disused pipes (connecting to a disused tank in the loft). They can be removed. To the left of the old wall, you can see a new plasterboard wall put in. We did this because the bathroom had been built around the old bath, which led to a funny shape. You can see that the old wall has old-style paster, and of course that wall could be replaced. It may be possible to push it back a little as well, to make more space for the cistern.

2 (3).jpg1.jpg3.jpg

Many thanks!

Have a look at geberit toilet frames

For the drain 20mm a meter min fall so 4 m would need an 80mm fall

Yes so aslong as you have 160mm of joists you will be fine

Yes normally 2x4 studs x 2x6 etc you can add noggins for extra strength

Reply to Fit wall-hung toilet to inside stud wall? in the DIY Plumbing Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16 mm copper water pipe. I exposed the pipe by removing a ~30cm section of the plastic sleeve and a ~10 cm section of the pipe around the hole. Several...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
I want to reconnect some outbuildings to an existing water supply. The supply pipe is old 22mm MDPE and buried for a fair distance so not going to dig it up and replace it 😬. Question is can I use normal 22mm plumbing push-fit connectors to make the connection as finding 22mm MDPE fittings...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I'm would like to extend an existing outside tap to another point in the garden. I'm about to pour a concrete patio and was hoping to run the water line underneath. There are existing drain (and who knows what) pipes running along the same wall so I'm nervous about digging too far...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock