Search the forum,

Discuss Fisrt of all......Hello :) (now a heating question) in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
I

iain_sherriff

So we have a 1890 brick built 3 bed semi cottage in Worcestershire.
At present we have an oil fired Watson (like AGA) cooker which also does central heating and hot water. System is vented with imersion/storage tank. 6 radiators + towel rail.
The Watson does the job easily BUT is sooooooooooo expensive to run!
Efficiency is not great either with the lack of control over cooking while heating and the other way around. (oil spend is around £1700 a year).

I have 4 years to retirment and wont be able to afford this once I dont earn.
We have no mains gas.

The Watson will need replaacing at some stage before retirement anyway.
Capital is limited.

So what to do?

I know I need to reinsulate the loft as a starting point.

What I am struggling with is deciding what to do with the cooking/heating system.
Wife wants to stick with a range type cooker so it seems to me that putting in an electric system boiler will be best.
What I cant work out is wether to go for an electric or oil range.
(possibly wether I could just remove the water heating side of the Watson and refurb the remaining cooking bits ? )

What suggestions od you people have......

thanks in advance.
:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Fisrt of all......Hello :) (now a heating question) in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

T
Hi We urgently need to get our h/w cylinder replaced because it's leaking. Our current system is oil boiler feeding underfloor downstairs, radiators upstairs and an unvented hot water cylinder for hot water. We are thinking of moving to a heat pump at some point but aren't ready to do this. My...
Replies
Views
S
Hello, So we have a two year old boiler and have cleaned / flushed the system twice recently but not all radiators will heat at the same time. All radiators have the ability to heat when the others are isolated so not likely the TRV. have been attempting to balance but seems like maybe not...
Replies
Views
Hi, Over the past few months, my wife and I have noticed a constant pulsing sound throughout the house which is particularly noisy at night (this could be as a result of us noticing the sound more when there is less environmental noise). Unfortunately, it is severely disrupting our sleep, so we...
Replies
Views
I just had a quote for a new boiler install as follows I dont undertand why a 15-60 boiler pump is needed and a 25-100 pump is needed as well I currently have an ideal mexico 2 heat only boiler - It has one DAB pump on the boiler return and a 2 port valve at the flow pipe to allow for heating...
Replies
Views
Hello, recently our boiler stopped working properly, causing a lack of heat in our 14-radiator splitter in 3 storeys. having only one boiler at time it kind of working, only for one at time (and partially hot), depending on the priority in the system. We contacted Valliant for assistance...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock