Search the forum,

Discuss First question... (probably of many) in the Bathrooms, Showers and Wetrooms area at PlumbersForums.net

Hello, All. Complete DIYer here, but I'll try not to sound too ignorant..

I recently noticed that my shower pan had developed a rust hole. It wasn't huge, but I decided I'd better do the reasonable rational thing and rip the whole thing out! I thought, I can get an acrylic one from Bunnings and install it myself - how hard can it be?

Well, I won't bore you with details that you can probably easily imagine, but I now have a vacant concrete space with partially-removed walls and a drain sticking up out of the ground, and a new pan waiting to be attached to said drain. This is after one contractor has already come and gone and done a crap job which forced me to rip out his work and start again, hopefully with a new contractor.

But this is the question, (and the point of this post) - I called a local plumber and explained the situation. And I also happened to mention that the previous plumber hadn't even put down a mortar bed under the pan. Surprisingly, he told me that it was a job for a tiler, not a plumber!! I queried that, but he repeated it. He said to install the shower pan I'd need a tiler.

Now, I don't know if he thought I was only talking about the mortar bed and not the drain, but I'm thoroughly confused, and I don't want to go and pester the local plumbers if they're all going to tell me it's not what they do.

So, can anyone tell me what's the score here? :)

Thanks.

Last edited:
Another member that is in auz and is a plumbing contractor he will be around soon to advise if he can

Post some pics of what you have.

I am confused also to what your situation is
Have to be tomorrow, Oz. Actually there's not much to see now. I've taken it up again and there's just the concrete cubicle and some busted walls. I'll get back to you to explain it better tomorrow, okay?
Thanks.

Post some pics of what you have.

I am confused also to what your situation is
I have a shower cubicle from which the pan has been removed, and I want to replace it. I've had one try, using tradies, but they did a less-than-good job, and didn't put down a mortar base before installing the new pan. The result was that it wobbled and squeaked when stood on. I didn't get them back to fix it because I didn't consider them reliable. So I ripped it out again. Now I have a cubicle that looks like the photo. I want to get a good tradesman in to do the job this time, but I've been told that installation of shower pans is a Tiler job, not a Plumber job. I want to know, so that I don't waste any more time calling plumbers when I should be calling tilers.

Attachments

• shwr.jpg
    shwr.jpg
    655 KB · Views: 5

Reply to First question... (probably of many) in the Bathrooms, Showers and Wetrooms area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock