Search the forum,

Discuss Firebird slimline combi in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Millsy 82

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Never installed one cant fit the grant combi in so thought I would price for a firebird. Are they any good?

I'm not a big fan of worcester oil and dont think they are worth the extra £400.

I installed one for my boss a couple years ago, I don't generally do oil but it's been fine since install. Only thing I will say is they look a little dated compared to Worcester. I believe there was also something about the expansion vessel only been large enough to take up the expansion in boiler and that a secondary external vessel is recommended for even a standard sized heating system. This is what I was told by the guy who commissioned the boiler, he made me put an extra one in before he passed it off. As I don't fit oil boilers I didn't question it and maybe Simon can confirm. Just thought I'd mention it so you can price for it now if it is actually required.

I installed one for my boss a couple years ago, I don't generally do oil but it's been fine since install. Only thing I will say is they look a little dated compared to Worcester. I believe there was also something about the expansion vessel only been large enough to take up the expansion in boiler and that a secondary external vessel is recommended for even a standard sized heating system. This is what I was told by the guy who commissioned the boiler, he made me put an extra one in before he passed it off. As I don't fit oil boilers I didn't question it and maybe Simon can confirm. Just thought I'd mention it so you can price for it now if it is actually required.

Grant were like that they have now fitted a 24ltr expansion vessel in them.

I am going put an additional one on and remove the existing one in the boiler to not confuse the next engineers.

Used Worcester at the beginning but let down big style with support.
Then warmflow but they changed the design without even letting on. Now have that crappy motorised valve that costs an arm and a leg to replace.
Never fitted grant, saw too many leaking when I first started oil so stayed away.
Now firebird.
Ideally I would fit an unvented cylinder and a hounsfield boiler.

It's nice to hear why people fit the boilers they do.

My first ever experience on oil was a firebird whitebird? The company I worked for used to get someone drive from Somerset to Gloucester to do their oil work and after a service this boiler wasnt working right so I got sent out to it,before i was oftec and not having any experience on oil what so ever, so I was off armed with an oil pressure gauge and new nozzle and a brand new smoke pump. It was choked up to hell and i cleaned it up a treat changed the nozzle altered it all to what it should be hey presto all worked absolutely fine I thought I was a god :cool:. Next day I got called back to it chucking thick black smoke out :mad:. By the time I got back out to it it was choked up again so had to clean it out again all perfect god feeling returned and I sat with it for 30 minutes it all of a sudden for about 10 minutes chucked out thick black smoke. :eek: a few drives down the road to phone manufacturer and nailed it to motor replaced all good.

Ever since then I have had a hatred for all things firebird.

Never liked worcester oil always been a pain to work on and like you with Grant's seen loads leaking like a sieve.

Warmflow the parts :eek::eek::eek: stupidly expensive.

And then grant always been good in my eyes. So just stuck with them. Seen a few recently leaking but think that's down to expansion vessel sizing.

It's weird how little things stick with you.

If you get chance on a heat only have a look at the hounsfield. Nice easy install and nice to work on.

Reply to Firebird slimline combi in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi All I have a leak coming from within my Mira Elite QT shower. It seems to be flowing from behind the switching Control. Any ideas what could be causing this leak. Already Changed the Pump Elbow as one of the clips had popped which was causing a second small leak, Any idea? Is it time to buy...
Replies
Views
Hi guys. I'm trying to identify a toilet model before ordering a seat for a customer. I went to what used to be a Roca stockist (they no longer are) and one of the guys there reckoned it might be "The Gap". I went to the new stockist and the guy there disagreed it was "The Gap" and that he'd...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock