Search the forum,

Discuss Firebird Silverpac External Oil Boiler suitable for internal use? in the Oil and Solid Fuel Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Hello.

I'm hoping to get some advice.
I moved into a new build house a few years ago. A Firebird Silverpac external oil boiler (kabin pak type) was installed which is situated on top of the detached garage base - I've now decided to build the garage meaning the boiler will be now be located internally. The external cavity walls are now underway and nearing wallplate level.

Questions:
  • Can this boiler be located internally when you consider the space will only be for garage use? i.e. not completely airtight - possibly provide permanent ventilation from outside if needs be? One engineer has advised me that my boiler needs to be changed to an internal use type boiler.
  • Is it ok to use a 80mm single skin plume kit to extend the boiler flue horizontally through the cavity wall? The cavity will remain uninsulated and top of the wall cavities will be closed so there will be no risk of fire spread.

Any advice or opinions on this would be much helpful.

Attachments

• IMG_20220920_082126.jpg
    IMG_20220920_082126.jpg
    220.8 KB · Views: 8
I would first see if you could fit a new balanced flue I would imagine it should fit .
Need to cut a new/bigger hole in boiler case but so what.
Try speaking to Firebird technical though unfortunately I wish you luck with that!.

I would first see if you could fit a new balanced flue I would imagine it should fit .
Need to cut a new/bigger hole in boiler case but so what.
Try speaking to Firebird technical though unfortunately I wish you luck with that!.
Cheers.
I spoke to Firebird yesterday but they gave me a very black / white answer from a manufacturer point of view i.e. this type of boiler should not be fitted inside a building as it relies on alot of outside ventilation and single skin flue should not pass through a wall. But at the end of our conversation, they did advise me to speak to a competent engineer who might be able to get around potential problems without changing boiler or flue type! 🤔

Interesting that Firebird technical spoke to you.Whenever we have asked for advice on boilers out of warranty we have been told your on your own!
We actually did what your asking on a Grant external.
5 minutes with a grinder then fitted a new balance flue with plume kit new air hose + adapter to burner recommissioned job done.

Proper flue through the wall shouldn't be an issue. After all it's an internal boiler in a IP rated shell.

Does it pull air via the flue system or around / from the case ?

The external version pulls its combustion air through the casing.

Twin wall high level flue, ready for HVO, will sort it.
Would I even need to change the flue? Could I not just extend the single skin conventional flue and provide additional permanent ventilation inside the the building? Also take off case cover? Manufacturer details recommends that 550mm2 per KW of permanent ventilation should be provided

Would I even need to change the flue? Could I not just extend the single skin conventional flue and provide additional permanent ventilation inside the the building? Also take off case cover? Manufacturer details recommends that 550mm2 per KW of permanent ventilation should be provided
No.

Yes your oil guy needs to change the flue.
No you cant just extend existing flue.
By all means take case off if required.

This is not a diy job as changing the flue will effect the combustion and the boiler will need setting correctly.

Reply to Firebird Silverpac External Oil Boiler suitable for internal use? in the Oil and Solid Fuel Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock